Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
When considerin a new firearms purchase, "why" should never enter into the discussion! :biggrin:

I reccomend buying all the guns your budget and marriage will allow. Just don't tell my old lady! :eek:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I fully understand the difference between "wants" and "needs". I just wanted folks to state "why" they would choose one over the other.

I am leaning towards a remington pump. I have the 20 gu version of their turkey gun and I like it plenty, I usually take my beretta al-390. I sometimes feel that it is a little longer than I want and would like to get one with a shorter barrell.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I've shot an 870 most of my life and they are fine turkey guns when combined with the right choke. One thing I must say about them though is they kick like a mule so if ya go that route I strongly suggest a sims butt pad.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'll agree 100% 870. Can't be beat ,and yes they do kick a little,but nothing like my ol one shot two black eyes mossberg. I shot with a longer barrel on my 870 and that took some of the stomp out of it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a Stoeger 2000 semi-auto back in the spring.I like it so far.have'nt had any problems with it.I think it was like $500.00 tax and all.
I have buddy that bought one a couple of years ago. He likes the carrying weight of it, but said it pretty much stomped the snot of of him when he bears down on a turkey.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've shot an 870 most of my life and they are fine turkey guns when combined with the right choke. One thing I must say about them though is they kick like a mule so if ya go that route I strongly suggest a sims butt pad.
I agree too. I've looked on their website and wondered about the one with the AR-15 stock. I'm not too much on being one to buy the first model of anything. They show some sort double spring system to help with the recoil.

They are ugly but I do like the pistol grip. I have also thought about the one with the thumbhole. I've never had anything but a regular stock on one.

Like someone once said "there isn't any reason to fix something that isn't broke". I don't know what I will do.

What kind of chokes have you had success with?

The turkey choke that came with the 870 20 gauge patterns fine out to 35 yards. After that I am not too confiident with it. I passed up a nice tom 3 years ago because I didn't think it was enough gun to reach the distance. The reason I bought it was for the carrying weight. I have killed a turkey or two with it though. The first one was about 5 steps.

·
11,530 Posts
In my 870 I always shot a mad max choke and was confident at 50 yards. My dads 870 shoots better with a comp in choke then the mad max. I started shooting a browning silver last year with a jellyhead choke and killed a couple turkeys out west at the 60 yard range shooting winchester extendeds

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
I would suggest any shotgun you are comfortable with and shoot well. Any 12 guage that patterns well will work great. And even a 20 that patterns well. If it will kill a squirrel it will kill a turkey's head.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I like my 870 Super Mag.
However, I have been getting the itch for a new turkey gun. I just havent prioritized it since the 870 works so well. I want a double barrel! As tight as you can choke these guns down these days, I want a 50yd barrel and a 10yd barrel.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I got my son a Mossberg 935 last year. Put a jellyhead in it.
Great pattern to 50 yds with Win Ex Range #6 3.5".
It is light and weight and the recoil isn't that bad. Price is right too.

·
11,530 Posts
One thing, I disagree with a lot of so called experts is barrel length. I personally like at least a 26" barrel, preferably a 28" barrel. Everyone now days says barrel length doesn't factor into the pattern since chokes have been modified, but I have yet seen a gun with a real short barrel perfom as well as a gun with a long barrel.

P.S I also like the pistol grip. It makes it real easy to keep the gun steady.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I use my 870's for just about everything (one as a dedicated slug gun).

They do kick hard so I put a Boyd's thumbhole stock on my slug gun and man what a difference. It pulls the recoil down bigtime.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
By Manybeards

One thing, I disagree with a lot of so called experts is barrel length. I personally like at least a 26" barrel, preferably a 28" barrel. Everyone now days says barrel length doesn't factor into the pattern since chokes have been modified, but I have yet seen a gun with a real short barrel perfom as well as a gun with a long barrel.

Could not agrre more. I believe in velocity for maximum pattern performance. A custom loader once told me you get an extra 10 or 20 feet per second per inch of barrel up to 28" I believe. ( It has been a long time since I was toild such) Plus I like the longer sighting plane of a longer barrell.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If money wasn't that big of an issue, I'd recommend the Browning Gold 3 1/2"
. I have one with the Comp N Choke and it is a deadly combintation. Also, it has a 30" barrel that will flat fling some shot out there. I just purchased a Remington 870 Super Mag from OuachitaMan and it is a great gun also. I used a factory turkey choke and it held a great pattern, but not quite as far as the Browning would. I did take everyone's advice and replaced the standard recoil pad with a new Remington Supercell pad. Man did it make a huge difference. It took a whole lot of the "Whoop" out of the recoil. I highly recommend one. You just can't go wrong with a Remington 870! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never check the specs on the Browning, but I have a few friends that shoot them and they sure seem heavy to me.

Some one here recommended the Mossberg line, do the pumps still rattle?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.