New True Grit

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by ozarkthunder, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ozarkthunder

ozarkthunder Well-Known Member

GREAT! Don't worry about comparing it to the original, it can stand on its own.

2. BTC

BTC Well-Known Member

I saw it a few days ago and loved it. I dont remember the original i guess but this is a MUST SEE movie.:biggrin:

3. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

I'll watch it when it comes out on my netflix, but I just can't get behind anybody but John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn.

I mean come on what if they remake Big Jake? Some movies just shouldn't be remade.

4. i plan on checking it out when released to netflix also, looks good

5. yjjeeper

yjjeeper Well-Known Member

lost
    You know, I really liked the soundtrack. But it did seem odd to hear all of those old hymns playing while they were shootin people up!!!

6. ozarkthunder

The first one was great, but if you don't try to compare the two, you will enjoy this one. My wife,who has never seen the original, and does not like shoot em up westerns, or any westerns for that matter, said it was one of the best movies she has ever seen.

7. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I'm afraid that would be my problem even though it's probably as good as I hear.

8. Whitetail Chaser

Whitetail Chaser Well-Known Member

x2

9. Mule659

Mule659 Well-Known Member

New one is a great movie. The original just had one real star of that movie...John Wayne. Yes I know, it had Robert Duvall, Kim Darby, and Glenn Campbell also...but out of all of them the only performance you'll really remember is John Wayne as Rooster. This one has a great cast and they all deliver awesome peformances...Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Hailee Steinfeld all did outstanding jobs. Josh Brolin made a great Tom Chaney as well. The only part that I even compared to the original was the famous "fill your hands you son of a b****" line...that one will forever belong to John Wayne.

10. ozarkthunder

The only part that I even compared to the original was the famous "fill your hands you son of a b****" line...that one will forever belong to John Wayne.

Amen!

11. bayman1975

bayman1975 Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

Saw it last night. Good movie.

12. Saw it New Years Eve. I liked it better than the original. Well, except for the fact that no one can replace John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn but Jeff Bridges did a good job.

13. flintknapper

flintknapper Moderator/smokepole pimp

I finally talked the missus into going to see it, I'll let y'all know!

She still thinks re-making a John Wayne movie is blasphemy.

14. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

She's definitely a keeper then. :)

Mine thinks any John Wayne movie is blashphemy.

15. flintknapper

It was a little hard watching a movie that you already know the plot for, but...

The new one was pretty dang good, a little grittier and more realistic than the old version. The Ft. Smith shots still didn't look much like the real thing, but at least there weren't snow-capped mountains between Ft. Smith and McAlister!

The kid that played Mattie Ross should get a nomination, if not an Oscar.

The ending was real different, but I knew it was coming--it's real close to Charles Portis' Saturday Evening Post series that the later novel was based on.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Coen Bros version.

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

:up: Wasn't she great? We will be seeing more of her in the future I think.

17. flintknapper

I loved the horse trading scene! :fit:

18. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Watched the original today. :up: