Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a friends house the other day and a new tikka 7mm-08 followed me home.Does anyone shoot this caliber?What kind of bullets due you use?Will this put a deer down in it tracks or will there be some tracking with it?I may let my 12 year old hunt with it but I kinda like it my self.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I went to a friends house the other day and a new tikka 7mm-08 followed me home.Does anyone shoot this caliber?What kind of bullets due you use?Will this put a deer down in it tracks or will there be some tracking with it?I may let my 12 year old hunt with it but I kinda like it my self.:biggrin:

Hey whiteoak, ...... NICEEEEEE

I have been shooting a 7mm-08 ( among several other cals ) for about 17 years. I started out shooting Federal Premiums ( nossler ballistic tips ) and Remingtons with ballistic tips. They worked well, but a few years ago I tried some Hornady Light Mags in 140 gr. SST's. I really liked the Hornady's. So much so that I have swapped every rifle I own to Hornady light mags. But that is just me.

As far as the round goes, the 7mm-08 is a .308 case necked down from a .30 cal. to a .284 bullet. It has a great ballistic coiff. and it is deadly. In fact, the round is touted as a lighter recoiling round ( suitable for women and kids ), but is deadly farther than most folks will ever, or need to, shoot. It is a solid 350 - 400 yard round. I have that round in a Remington Model 7, and It has taken a majority of my deer over the years. I love the round. When I bought it, not a lot of folks used it ( or even knew much about it ), but over the last 15+ years, more and more people are learning just how good of a deer round it really is.

As far as DRT dead.... If you do your part, then it will do it's job. But if you are a little off, it is still deadly. I have never trailed a deer, shot with it, more than about 40 yards, and I have also seen them ( honestly ) do a back flip and hit the ground and never twitch. It is just as reliable as any other deer sized big game cartridge like .308, .270, 25.06, .260, and even a 30.06. Most have fallen within a couple of steps. There may be slight differences in them all, but even down to a .243, they are all very effective on deer.

Enjoy the new toy, and Good luck:thumb:

MET

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.