Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in Little Rock, and I've been in a convenient duck/deer lease for 5 years, but the farmer decided not to lease hunting rights anymore. I'm starting to research public options for bowhunting, as I haven't found a suitable lease for this season. Camp Robinson appears the most convenient option, but I have no idea where to even begin. Parking? Signing in? etc etc etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I only bow hunt for deer. Don't rifle hunt. Thx.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh man... No one is going to point you to the deer. I have yet to hunt public land in Arkansas, but I hear its pretty dang competitive. I hunted public land out west and no gave an inch other than there are deer in the state, lol!

I miss public land hunting, but I have a lease in SE AR. My advice is this, because while I work in Little Rock, I will not be able to get to Bradley County before or after work like i would like during the season. I will have to find some public spots myself.

Get ONX maps or basemaps. I like onx and i just purchased a chip for my Garmin devices. Deer are everywhere here, but trophies are hard to find without work. Out west where I was, it was just lucky to find a 2x3 blacktail buck, lol.

You have to put feet on the ground, no way around it. Start now. Got walking and scouting . My rule was go farther in than the average lazy person would. I studied the maps at home and went out after work or weekends. I found deer and after all that work, I was not telling anyone. It was tough enough to see people and evidence of people when you were waaaaay in the back country.

Personally, I would not mind going out with you. On a California gun forum, I put an offer out to hunt and made a few friends. We studdied the maps at home, had a conversation, set a date, camped that night and shot a buck in the morning. I cannot imagine a hunt that gruesome here, but I welcome the challenge. Shoot, just to film the hunt I would do it, lol!

Anywho, good luck out there. There are some nice people all around, but most will not just give up details to anyone. That's how things get ruined. Make a friend and put in some work together and they will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea I’m not expecting someone to tell
Me where they saw a huge buck lol. But I do think it’s reasonable to ask where access trails are and I’ve read you’re supposed to sign in somewhere?
I haven't read anything about signing in somewhere but there is a free general use permit for hunting WMA's.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bow hunt at camp Robinson quite a bit, it has some decent hunting, you do have to get a permit to get on the base. You must sign in and out each day and you cannot sign in before 90 minutes from sunrise and must be signed out no later than 90 min after sun set

·
Super Moderator
9,866 Posts
If it hasn’t changed from last year you can only hunt in TA 10 , 11,12,13 . You must check the board at the guard shack each morning before signing in as some of these areas can be closed or the whole thing can be closed for military training
The permit price stayed the same. The areas to hunt got cut in half. Not worth it to me. And that says a lot because I put up with ungodly amounts of bullcrap to hunt on every post I'm on.

·
Super Moderator
9,866 Posts
I'm located in Little Rock, and I've been in a convenient duck/deer lease for 5 years, but the farmer decided not to lease hunting rights anymore. I'm starting to research public options for bowhunting, as I haven't found a suitable lease for this season. Camp Robinson appears the most convenient option, but I have no idea where to even begin. Parking? Signing in? etc etc etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I only bow hunt for deer. Don't rifle hunt. Thx.
To be a bit more constructive, Winona WMA can be bowhunted and so can Lake Maumelle WMA (no longer need a permit to bowhunt it). You can also go northeast a bit to the White and/or Cache River NWRs. If I lived in NLR again I'd do that much more often.

Reactions: BRhea1214

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I hunted Camp quiet a bit when i lived in LR. But since they cut the hunting area in half i imagine it’s pretty crowded. Lake Maumelle used to be a good, until it got crowded. You can find some hidey holes in Bell slough if you’re willing to walk. Winona has more ground than you can shake a stick at, it’s not too busy UNTIL rifle season starts and the pumpkin army shows up parking a camper anywhere one will fit. You gotta be flexible being close proximity of the metro area.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Honestly there are so many close opportunities for you. Camp, Bell Slough, Winona, Watensaw, and Holland Bottoms. All have deer. I find I don’t have to walk super far on any of them. I just need to have a few locations picked out. I’m to the point my time is limited bc of my kids activities and so forth. I need areas that I can access pretty quickly and well I’m not getting any younger either so I don’t care to go on a hike just to deer hunt.

You will need to apply for a recreational pass to hunt Camp. They aren’t open everyday so I would call. Once you get a pass you just have to check in daily. There are still lots of hunters but some of the changes over the years have run some off. There are definitely still big deer out there. I haven’t applied this year so things might have changed.

Lastly, don’t overthink it. Mark areas on google earth or onX or whatever. Then go scout in person! Unfortunately we have a lot of criminals walking the woods. Trail cameras disappear in a hurry if they are on highly traveled areas. So make sure to hide them more then you normally would on private. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
300 Win. Mag.
200 Posts
Holland Bottoms and Winona are really nice, I would personally go to CRWMA. I really know that WMA, and really wish I could hunt there again. You can be in a great place that gets overlooked very quickly in September and October. J.M.O.

·
Registered
300 Win. Mag.
200 Posts
Okay, I just remembered another place for you guys! I've killed a few nice bucks and a couple of big ole slick heads at Camp Robinson Special Use Area!!! It's on the left and right side of the gravel road past the Gun Range off of Clinton road. Which is off of Hiway 89 in Faulkner County. Very good place to hunt, needs to be investigated and be ready to occasionally see horseback riders. Definitely worth checking out, and you don't have to sign in or out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts