Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year to hunt Turkey's and I am hooked. My hunting buddy spent all but opening day calling for me and we finally sealed the deal the final day of the season. Since that time, I have had a slate call in my hand and a diapram call in my mouth.

I have bought a new shotgun, got some additional SPRING Camo patterns, ... you name it, I got it in the name of Turkey Hunting!

Now for the question - How do you prefer to clean your bird? Last year not knowing any different, I skined the entire bird and split it in half, vaccumed sealed it and put it in the freezer. When it came time to eat, I deboned the meat, marinated in Italian Dressing and grilled with Bacon.

Is there a better way? Something different to try?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Bone the meat and cut it into strips across the grain. Dip it in a mixture of egg and milk and roll it in flour with spices mixed in. Deep fry in peanut oil or corn oil . Man it's making me hungry just thinking about it . :thumb: Use your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping or maybe some ranch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bone the meat and cut it into strips across the grain. Dip it in a mixture of egg and milk and roll it in flour with spices mixed in. Deep fry in peanut oil or corn oil . Man it's making me hungry just thinking about it . :thumb: Use your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping or maybe some ranch.
I like to put some fresh pieces of onoin when I'm cooking it. And maybe a sprinkle of season salt.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the cooking ideas, but what do I need to do to the bird in the field? Or when I get home?

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
Cut the breast out fry and eat.:thumb: Take the rest and bake it, put it in the ice box for one week, then feed it to the dogs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keying in on something I have noticed - IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TURKEY BREAST.

Can you cook wild Turkey legs and get them tender like the State Fair?

Any other portion of the turkey worth eating?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Most folks just fillet out the breast meat.
The only thing I've heard of doing with the rest of it is boiling it for stock and making BBQ or soup meat.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Creamed Turkey

One of my favorite ways to eat turkey is to cook it like creamed pheasant. I cut the brest up into chunks or strips. I roll these in flour with salt and pepper added to taste. I then just brown (don't completely cook) the chunks/strips in a pan with a little oil. Put the browned meat into a backing dish and add cream or cream of chicken soup (or both) and bake at 350 degrees until the cream thickens (about 30 to 45 minutes). Serve over rice or noodles. Yum, yum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts