Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this area and to deer hunting so I have, what are probably dumb, questions. We bought a house on 6 acres outside Cove and have seen a lot of deer grazing and wandering through. But all I have seen are does. All the droppings have been about pea sized, untill last week. I found a pile which were much larger. On Sunday found a pile down by the pond that was so large the deer must have a butt like Rosie O'Donnell. Is there any relationship between the size of the droppings to the sex of a deer?

·
Super Moderator
10,881 Posts
To answer your question yes and no. Sometimes old bucks will have bigger dropping but usualy there aint a whole lot of difference between the droppings of bucks and does. But if ya got the does, the bucks will be there come the rut

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you want to invest a little money, get a game camera and a bag of deer cocaine, you will see whats on the the property. You may not determine the sex but a mature deer will definetaly have bigger droppings.:razz:

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
First welcome to the board...I would not be so sold on finding droppings as just finding deer...Right now find food (which there is plenty) and you will find bucks..Find thick bedding areas and trails going to and from...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the input. Looks like I need to set up some cameras.
You lucky rascal, there are some humongous bucks in that area. I know of one killed near Gillham that scored like 159, a 15 year kid killed it, he was visiting his grandparents for Thanksgiving, Friday morning he wandered off down the mountain behind their house, and the biggun practically sacrificed himself. It was the boys first time to hunt there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.