New to AR's

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Syn, Jul 27, 2020.

1. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

Its well woth 10 bucks to get rid of that bad evil black gun
    20180407_155158.jpeg 20180408_200343.jpeg

2. Grizzly16

Grizzly16 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Syn and Dave57 like this.

3. ararslinger

ararslinger Well-Known Member

If you don't already have ammo better start looking today.

4. Johnjpa808

Johnjpa808 Well-Known Member

Syn and KemperCamper like this.
  5. Biggars

Biggars Well-Known Member

What about PCCs? Like 10mm?
    Are they lighter and quieter?
    Not as much range but Id think good results out to 75yds which us plenty for house clearing

Syn likes this.
  6. Grizzly16

Grizzly16 Well-Known Member

They aren't bad but from what I understand you run into a few shortfalls compared to a 556 or 300 blkc out.

1. Hi cap (30+) mags for pistol rounds are very expensive and not as reliable as pmags/ar15 mags.
    2. Longer barrels on a PCC can over speed pistol ammo and reduce the terminal effects.
    3. Self defense 10mm ammo is more expensive than 556 and 300blackout (or was pre-Riots, not sure now).

I'd about rather have a shorter barrel shotgun (they make "pistol" versions) in 12g than a 10mm pcc.

Syn and Biggars like this.
  7. Biggars

Biggars Well-Known Member

Im kicking it around.
    I read that velocity doesnt increase much between pistol and pcc for 10mm, 9mm, and seems like the extra barrel length would stabilize the trajectory more than in a handgun plus benefits of a stock/ longer sight radius would increase accuracy. 10mm should be plenty out to 75 yds Id think. 9mm mite be a little weak at that range. I wonder about the blast and how much less it is vs 300 or 5.56. I think the pccs are lighter usually too. Color me curious. I mite try one in a 12 inch barrel length if I can work up the funds someday. Ammo is probably more expensive, would need to reload most likely to shoot it much.

Grizzly16 and Syn like this.
  8. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

A couple of quick questions.

What is the difference between the handguards? (KMR-A, MCMR, QRF) Is it just the design of the accessory mounting holes or is one better than the other? Will all aftermarket accessories fit all handguard designs?

Does the pistol come ready to accept a suppressor or will I need to take it to a gunsmith? Any suppressor recommendations?

Thanks for everyone help,

Joe

9. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Please disregard the handguard question, I found a good article over at pew pew that cleared a lot of that up.

10. DesertRider

DesertRider Well-Known Member

NWA
    As far as hearing inside, put a pair of electronic muffs next to the AR and you won't notice the blast. My house AR is an 11.5" pistol- if you have any hallways, room corners or plan on going low behind furniture- you'll appreciate the shorter bbl.

Syn likes this.