Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I was originally planning to buy a Montefeltro but the M2 just shouldered more naturally.
I do still like the looks and feel of the feltro though.
I'm shooting the Montefeltro this year and absolutely love it, it's been responsible for the death of two birds already this year. Hopefully a few more to come still. I do also really like the Tristars that I bought for the kids but the Benelli is a lighter and feels great, not to mention it's throwing an insane pattern with the Carlson's choke and #9 Federal TSS

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ditching my deadly on both ends10 ga after this season.

If you were going to buy a short barreled full camo pump or auto 20 ga for turkeys and an occasional squirrel hunt (not ducks) what would you buy?

Thanks!!!
I bought a 20 gauge 870 youth gun for my son a few years ago. It is a good shooting gun, light weight with low recoil and easy to carry in the woods. With #5's, he has killed turkey's out as far as 52 steps (and being a short guy, I stepped it off long...I may be off some but, it was a looong ways out in the woods). I would recommend one to anyone. His is an older model and built well. Also, if you hunt NE Arkansas, etc where you can't use a rifle deer hunting, you can get a rifled slug barrel for it.

My dad had a 10 ga double barrel (my brother has it now). We used to kid my dad that it "killed in front and crippled behind..."

·
Registered
458 Posts
I went to Fort Thompson Sporting Goods Saturday to look at getting myself a nice 20 gauge turkey gun to replace my mule kicking Mossberg. Since it was my wife and I's anniversary weekend, she said to go ahead and get the one I wanted. I handled a few and decided on the Franchi Affinity Elite Turkey in 20 gauge. I was a happy man as I'd never owned a top notch gun of any sort. I added a sling, carrying case and a Carlson's Long Beard choke.
I proceeded to get it dialed in for use on my mini vacation starting Wed. Right off the bat it fails to cycle the action when shot. I try, through a whole box of hard to find turkey loads, to figure out what might be going on. Sometimes it would eject the shell but it hasn't reloaded the follow up yet. I went to a 2 and 3/4 round and it won't even attempt to eject the spent hull. Also, there are times that you can't get a shell to go in the magazine. It gets in a bind with the lifting mechanism about halfway in. I've broken it down about 5 times now and it's been cleaned and lightly oiled. Everything feels right and smooth when working the action by hand.
I have a feeling that I'm SOL on getting an exchange from Ft. Thompson but I have yet to check. I expect the "send it back to Franchi" routine. Needless to say, I wish I'd never gotten this overpriced p.o.s.
I've got a franchi affinity. I'm guessing you were shooting federal tss in 3"? My franchi will not feed them either. They hang in the carrier.

The roll crimp tss from federal is a touch longer, about 1/8", than a standard 3" shell.

I've been buying heavy shot, heavy 18 tss..They are standard fold crimped making them shorter and feed like butter.

I found where the federals were hanging and took a price of sandpaper to sand the shell until it fed through the gun..do at your own risk, haha.

I also polished the metal that the shell was hanging on in the carrier, again, at your own risk.

I spoke with federal, they had me measure the shell..they said the shell was within spec for a 20 gauge 3" shell. I called franchi, they said it's the shell manufacturer fault? So, there's that.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
28,945 Posts
I've got a franchi affinity. I'm guessing you were shooting federal tss in 3"? My franchi will not feed them either. They hang in the carrier.

The roll crimp tss from federal is a touch longer, about 1/8", than a standard 3" shell.

I've been buying heavy shot, heavy 18 tss..They are standard fold crimped making them shorter and feed like butter.

I found where the federals were hanging and took a price of sandpaper to sand the shell until it fed through the gun..do at your own risk, haha.

I also polished the metal that the shell was hanging on in the carrier, again, at your own risk.

I spoke with federal, they had me measure the shell..they said the shell was within spec for a 20 gauge 3" shell. I called franchi, they said it's the shell manufacturer fault? So, there's that.

Hope this helps?
Crap. Now you’ve got me nervous. I haven’t cycled 3 in a row through mine. Guess I better not miss lol.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My Federal TSS is the exact same length as the Heavy Metals I hunted ducks with and had no cycling issues with my M2.
Hopefully I won’t need to find out if it cycles TSS well. I would prefer a one shot kill.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Hope this helps?
Thanks for the info. I was actually shooting Winchester Longbeard XR's.
I took the gun back to Ft.Thompson SG and they tried it too. They agreed it wasn't working properly. They got the Franchi trouble shooter on the line and he tries to tell us that we're not holding the gun right.
Gave me the reds right off. We boxed it up and sent it to their repair shop in Missouri.
Not pleased in the least bit. No exchange or refund. No replacement. Just all around bs that comes solely at my expense. Ft Thompson got theirs and Franchi got theirs. I'm out $1200, no gun, box of hard to find turkey loads, gas to Little Rock twice and my wasted time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a feeling that I'm SOL on getting an exchange from Ft. Thompson but I have yet to check. I expect the "send it back to Franchi" routine. Needless to say, I wish I'd never gotten this overpriced p.o.s.
I bought an 870 from them a few years back. Took it ducking hunting, and it would not eject a shell; the factory had gotten some paint inside the chamber and gummed up the works. I took it back the next day and they handed me a new 870 off the shelf.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was actually shooting Winchester Longbeard XR's.
I took the gun back to Ft.Thompson SG and they tried it too. They agreed it wasn't working properly. They got the Franchi trouble shooter on the line and he tries to tell us that we're not holding the gun right.
Gave me the reds right off. We boxed it up and sent it to their repair shop in Missouri.
Not pleased in the least bit. No exchange or refund. No replacement. Just all around bs that comes solely at my expense. Ft Thompson got theirs and Franchi got theirs. I'm out $1200, no gun, box of hard to find turkey loads, gas to Little Rock twice and my wasted time.
Trust me, I understand. They act as if it's the first time they have heard of the issue, franchi that is. I was at my wits end.. if a round is over a certain length, i can't remember offhand, but have it written down, it will simply not cycle in my gun..period. Some of the duck loads will not cycle.

Apex trim their hulls a touch prior to rolling to account for them cycling through franchi and other guns.

I took a box of federals into a gun shop, they would not cycle through the franchi, benelli m2 and would cycle 1 out of 3 times in a stoeger.

This was a couple years ago..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’ve shot a Franchi Intensity 3.5 (the model pre- Affinity) since 2014 and not a single ejection issue. Recoil spring got weak last year and replaced that. I’ve shot multiple brands of roll crimped shells through it.

Bought my wife the same gun but Affinity 3.5 model in 2017 and no issues out of hers.

Wonder if this is just a 20 gauge issue?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just go some new federal tss, 20 gauge in the mail today..they have shortened them quite a bit. I placed them
Up against a few heavy 18's I have left and they were the exact same length. They feed in my gun just fine.

I'm not too sure when they started trimming them shorter, as I quite buying them because of their length. For those wondering where I got them..midway had #9's and #7's in stock a few days ago.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to update and inform any potential Franchi buyers. My new Franchi Affinity Turkey Elite finally got shipped back from Franchi's repair shop to Ft Thompson Sporting Goods. Before I left to go pick it up, I had them test fire it to make sure it cycled. Sure enough, it wouldn't. Ft. Thompson informed me that they would credit me what I paid for the gun towards whatever other gun I choose. I wanted to say that, as to let others know that their customer service is good and they'll do their best to treat you right and fair.
As for Franchi, they seem to have an issue on these guns. Ft. Thompson ended up sending all of their Franchi Turkey guns back, along with mine, for the same issue. Franchi insists it's operator error on how it's held. Even following Franchi's instruction, Ft.Thompson couldn't get them to cycle. Buyer beware till this issue gets fixed.
Now, I'm back in the market for a 20 gauge turkey gun. I love the wife's Weatherby SA-459 and also interested in the Retay 20 gauge. The Retay just doesn't have the pistol grip like I like. Any suggestions or insights on the plus and negative factors with today's available turkey guns would be welcomed. TIA

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to update and inform any potential Franchi buyers. My new Franchi Affinity Turkey Elite finally got shipped back from Franchi's repair shop to Ft Thompson Sporting Goods. Before I left to go pick it up, I had them test fire it to make sure it cycled. Sure enough, it wouldn't. Ft. Thompson informed me that they would credit me what I paid for the gun towards whatever other gun I choose. I wanted to say that, as to let others know that their customer service is good and they'll do their best to treat you right and fair.
As for Franchi, they seem to have an issue on these guns. Ft. Thompson ended up sending all of their Franchi Turkey guns back, along with mine, for the same issue. Franchi insists it's operator error on how it's held. Even following Franchi's instruction, Ft.Thompson couldn't get them to cycle. Buyer beware till this issue gets fixed.
Now, I'm back in the market for a 20 gauge turkey gun. I love the wife's Weatherby SA-459 and also interested in the Retay 20 gauge. The Retay just doesn't have the pistol grip like I like. Any suggestions or insights on the plus and negative factors with today's available turkey guns would be welcomed. TIA
I believe you can get a tri star viper with a pistol grip, unless you have previously stated the tri star was out of the choice of selection.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a mossberg SA 20 ga turkey gun. Same gun as the tristar. My wife has the tristar 20 ga. I have a tristar G2 viper 28ga i squirrel hunt with. I also have a mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun. I shot a few heavy loads at first. They cycle everything u feed them.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts