Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I agree with Jackie on this one. The mossberg 500 fits me well and I can shoot it decent. Mines a 12ga. It really depends on what you want and what feels good shouldering. You should be able to throw a shotgun to your shoulder and it automatically be on target. If it’s not, you don’t have the right fit or you need more practice shouldering a gun.

·
Premium Member
30,445 Posts
I agree with Jackie on this one. The mossberg 500 fits me well and I can shoot it decent. Mines a 12ga. It really depends on what you want and what feels good shouldering. You should be able to throw a shotgun to your shoulder and it automatically be on target. If it’s not, you don’t have the right fit or you need more practice shouldering a gun.
Crap I'm Agreeing with Him..Crap..

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I’m not a die hard Turkey hunter but i acquired my dads older mossberg 500 12 ga with the fluted barrel. It’s loud but handles recoil well and the factory x-full choke works great with the longbeard Xr’s. I also have a mossberg 20 ga that i use for whatever. They’re nothing special but the 500’s just flat out work, never had an issue with either one.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
We've put several hundred rounds through them without a single problem. Shooting everything from low brass 2 3/4" dove loads, 3" steel shot and 3" TSS loads. Considering they're under $300 new I don't believe there's anything else that can compete for that price in a semi auto. Also paired with a Carlson's LBXR choke and Apex #9 TSS loads I haven't seen a better pattern out of any gun no matter the price.
Where did you find one for under $300? The cheapest I have found a plain black synthetic is $439 online.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Where did you find one for under $300? The cheapest I have found a plain black synthetic is $439 online.
Your local Walmart. I paid $279 + tax for the first one 4 or 5 years ago then picked up the second one year before last and they'd went up $10. The ones we have are black with a camo stock and forearm, I wrapped one in bottomlands this year and plan on wrapping the other as soon as I get time. I think they're getting a little harder to find but my brother picked one up at Malvern Walmart a few weeks ago for $289 and he said they had 3 in stock at that time.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Your local Walmart. I paid $279 + tax for the first one 4 or 5 years ago then picked up the second one year before last and they'd went up $10. The ones we have are black with a camo stock and forearm, I wrapped one in bottomlands this year and plan on wrapping the other as soon as I get time. I think they're getting a little harder to find but my brother picked one up at Malvern Walmart a few weeks ago for $289 and he said they had 3 in stock at that time.
That Walmart had a tristar 20 gauge couple weeks ago for $296, probably should of bought it myself...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went to Fort Thompson Sporting Goods Saturday to look at getting myself a nice 20 gauge turkey gun to replace my mule kicking Mossberg. Since it was my wife and I's anniversary weekend, she said to go ahead and get the one I wanted. I handled a few and decided on the Franchi Affinity Elite Turkey in 20 gauge. I was a happy man as I'd never owned a top notch gun of any sort. I added a sling, carrying case and a Carlson's Long Beard choke.
I proceeded to get it dialed in for use on my mini vacation starting Wed. Right off the bat it fails to cycle the action when shot. I try, through a whole box of hard to find turkey loads, to figure out what might be going on. Sometimes it would eject the shell but it hasn't reloaded the follow up yet. I went to a 2 and 3/4 round and it won't even attempt to eject the spent hull. Also, there are times that you can't get a shell to go in the magazine. It gets in a bind with the lifting mechanism about halfway in. I've broken it down about 5 times now and it's been cleaned and lightly oiled. Everything feels right and smooth when working the action by hand.
I have a feeling that I'm SOL on getting an exchange from Ft. Thompson but I have yet to check. I expect the "send it back to Franchi" routine. Needless to say, I wish I'd never gotten this overpriced p.o.s.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I went to Fort Thompson Sporting Goods Saturday to look at getting myself a nice 20 gauge turkey gun to replace my mule kicking Mossberg. Since it was my wife and I's anniversary weekend, she said to go ahead and get the one I wanted. I handled a few and decided on the Franchi Affinity Elite Turkey in 20 gauge. I was a happy man as I'd never owned a top notch gun of any sort. I added a sling, carrying case and a Carlson's Long Beard choke.
I proceeded to get it dialed in for use on my mini vacation starting Wed. Right off the bat it fails to cycle the action when shot. I try, through a whole box of hard to find turkey loads, to figure out what might be going on. Sometimes it would eject the shell but it hasn't reloaded the follow up yet. I went to a 2 and 3/4 round and it won't even attempt to eject the spent hull. Also, there are times that you can't get a shell to go in the magazine. It gets in a bind with the lifting mechanism about halfway in. I've broken it down about 5 times now and it's been cleaned and lightly oiled. Everything feels right and smooth when working the action by hand.
I have a feeling that I'm SOL on getting an exchange from Ft. Thompson but I have yet to check. I expect the "send it back to Franchi" routine. Needless to say, I wish I'd never gotten this overpriced p.o.s.
I am glad I read this , I was trying to decide on buying one and I am pretty sure you just helped that !

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My vote is for a Benelli M2 or an 870.
I will mention that I haven’t taken my 870 except to ride as backup since got the M2 five or six years ago.
That being said, I still keep my eyes open for a deal on a nice Wingmaster 870.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Did you try to break the gun in at all? Supposed to shoot a box or 2 of magnum loads through it to break the action in.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts