Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ditching my deadly on both ends10 ga after this season.

If you were going to buy a short barreled full camo pump or auto 20 ga for turkeys and an occasional squirrel hunt (not ducks) what would you buy?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
View attachment 308710

A little pricey, but checks all the requirements
They’re nice! I shoot sx3’s and sx4’s but one of the guys I hunt with shoots one of these and it’s lighter than mine. I’ve never been a beneli guy but I really like that gun and how well I shoot it wouldn’t matter since it would have a sight on it anyway

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'm shooting a Benelli 20 gauge this year but also occasionally hunt with one of the kids TriStar Raptor. The Tristar was about 1/4 the price of the Benelli and performs great but I absolutely love my Benelli. I wrapped the TriStar in bottomlands and it turned out pretty darn good imo. It all depends on how much you want to spend but there's plenty of great options out there for a 20 gauge.
Wood Rectangle Beige Khaki Tree
View attachment 308714

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm shooting a Benelli 20 gauge this year but also occasionally hunt with one of the kids TriStar Raptor. The Tristar was about 1/4 the price of the Benelli and performs great but I absolutely love my Benelli. I wrapped the TriStar in bottomlands and it turned out pretty darn good imo. It all depends on how much you want to spend but there's plenty of great options out there for a 20 gauge. View attachment 308715 View attachment 308714
Looked at the Tristar but was concerned about reliability. Cycles 3” & 2 3/4 reliably?

·
Premium Member
30,432 Posts
Looked at the Tristar but was concerned about reliability. Cycles 3” & 2 3/4 reliably?
Own a 410 Tristar Pump..Works flawlessly..
No problems 2 3/4 Or 3 in..
Not much Difference than my 870....
Love it..
But The Mossberg is a Better Quality, reliable shotgun...Own 3 of em..2 410 and a 20 Gauge..
I reload and the Mossberg handles anything I throw in it....

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
We've put several hundred rounds through them without a single problem. Shooting everything from low brass 2 3/4" dove loads, 3" steel shot and 3" TSS loads. Considering they're under $300 new I don't believe there's anything else that can compete for that price in a semi auto. Also paired with a Carlson's LBXR choke and Apex #9 TSS loads I haven't seen a better pattern out of any gun no matter the price.

·
Administrator
84,110 Posts
If I didnt already own a M1 it would be a 870 pump, youth model
My son has one that his wife shoots and it’s sweet!! It has a 22” (I think) barrel and a 12.5” LOP. I have a standard 870 20 synthetic with a 26” barrel and it’s light too. If I was going to turkey hunt it would probably be what I’d carry.

·
Premium Member
18,445 Posts
I’m not a Turkey hunter but my friend is ate up with it! He’s got SX3 in 20 gauge and swears by it, I’ve shouldered/ shot it several times and man it feels good! He’s got some kind of super duper turkey head smasher choke in it and takes birds easily 50+. ( or so he say’s)

It feels good in my hands and much lighter than any of my 12’s by far!

Reactions: WillyB71

·
Premium Member
30,432 Posts
I have a youth 870 made in late 90s.

No complaints.

Don’t listen to Jackie’s nonsense about Mossbergs.....
I to have a late 90 youth 870 20 Gauge.
Love it still going strong like me it is old
And needs Retired..
Has Taken lots of Turkeys..
The Mossberg 500 was put I my hand by a Neighbor and Close friend..
Retired the 870..I own 3...
Now own 3 Mossberg 500..1 ,20 Gauge youth..
2 ,Mossberg 500 ,410 love them..one 410 is home Defense......yes home Defense..
1 ,Tristar 410 from uncle Reb....Excellent
Shotgun..Excellent..Nicer than I need to carry in the Woods....
Am ruff on a Shotgun climbing where a Rabbit wouldn't go...

Monday...The Mossberg 500,20 Gauge gets the Nod...

Can take a licking and keep on clicking..

MOSSBERG 500.Like the Ruger 22..all kinds of options out their..and parts if ya ever need one..
DON'T TAKE MY WORD TRY ONE IF YOU DARE...
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Good HUNTING..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts