New rules

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Magnum twelve, May 22, 2020.

1. Magnum twelve

Magnum twelve Member

Having to be off the water by 12 pm sucks.

brushcreek and Whispering Death like this.
  2. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Account Suspended

It’s pretty stupid. 3rd time they have made that change in the last decade. They have gone back to 1pm the two previous times.

If you ask them they have absolutely no reason for doing it. It didn’t improve hunting the previous two times it’s not going to make a dime‘s worth of difference now.

It was Joe Morgan’s bright idea. It was thrown on the agenda at his request.

TimberTalker likes this.

3. Magnum twelve

Magnum twelve Member

Yes. Last two times they tried this there was no noticeable difference. The guys that are willing to work to hunt away from the crowds have to cut the hunt short due to having to be out on time. Sucks picking up on those days when the ducks come back to the woods late.

4. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the 12 PM rule but I think hammering places like Bayou Meto 7 days a week, 60 days a year is part of the problem. This is not going to be popular but a couple of rest days each week like we see in the white river bottoms probably would enhance the quality of the hunt.

This much I know. Until we have Winters again during Duck season, the hunting quality will continue to decline. Ducks have no reason to come here. We haven’t had a Winter since 2017.

At the end of the day, the only thing I run here is my mouth so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Quack addict and Magnum twelve like this.
  5. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

6. stumpy waters

Yep exactly. It’s a pointless change but you have guys (and girls) voting on changes that never even step foot on public land so they have no clue.

fbinkley, JHS76 and DuckEngr like this.
  7. stumpy waters

Never was an entire week it was the last three days of season.
    I have hunted the last three days for years in the afternoon. Hardly ever anyone hunting.
    Just another example of the ignorance of having individuals determine rules that never step foot on public property. It’s not going to reduce pressure cause there was no pressure to begin with.

8. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

I have seen folks hammer the Ducks non-stop those last three days. I am certainly not the authority and often mistaken but never in doubt. ;)

9. stumpy waters

Didn’t say folks didn’t hammer ducks in the afternoon.
    Was pointing out first of all it was 3 days not a week.
    They did is saying the ‘last weekend’ but very few years will duck season end in a weekend with the change to allow closing on the 31st.

Also folks may be hammering them, never said they weren’t, but in general it is very few people hunting in the afternoons those days.

Ange likes this.
  10. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

10-4 And you are correct sir——three days and not a week.

11. JHS76

JHS76 Well-Known Member

Marion
    The early real dates of 9/15-9/30 somewhat suck. Wish it was 9/12-9/27 to allow 3 weekends but it is what it is.

Looks like it took the turkey season route.

Wait, am I reading correctly? Duck season opens on a Monday this season? November 23rd?

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM
  12. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Need to read between the lines here. G&F is doing this to possibly fan the already about to start fire moving this towards starting a major conflict between user groups. There is already a major riff in place with the past reg’s that caused other groups to not also be able to use the land because of a restriction rule aimed solely at just one user group and to regulate them. Those groups have already launched a move that has drawn the legal departments attention in the system that they are on thin ice doing things as they are. So question here, “Why in the world would they now pass a new reg that would do nothing but stir up an already potentially explosive issue?” You got a group of users (deer, small game, fishermen, birders, campers, ect) that combined make up a vast majority of the user group that was already PO’ed and you pass a reg, here again only aimed to regulate a smaller groups issues, but here now they take even more of their ability to use the areas away, PO’ing them off more, What in the world is their train of thought & logic behind it. Seems kinda like they want to start a crap storm inside the user groups to start then because of public outcry, they can then have plausible deniability in saying we were forced to go to a overall user regulatory system of all users (aka a user permit system) for ALL users. Think about that! Let’s get everyone to fighting with everyone then they will be forced to do something. In many cases when something is done that seems totally illogical in the outside, it is being done to achieve a whole another well thought out logistical reason in the end.

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think they are showing duck season as opening on a Monday before Thanksgiving and closing on Wednesday the week after Thanksgiving. I wonder if that is correct?

681C11D1-FC66-4DAF-878D-4EB4B379F845.png

14. DuckEngr

DuckEngr Well-Known Member

I doubt it. My money says somebody looked at November 2019 instead of November 2020.

15. JHS76

JHS76 Well-Known Member

Marion
    You are correct, it opens 11/21.

SwampCat likes this.
  16. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

Conway
    You know......you have people coming from all over the country, locals, and surrounding counties to hunt our public GTR’s. Hunting them hard everyday of season.....it’s amazing the ducks still come to the woods at all.

I haven’t hunted public green timber as long as many here. We drove over from magnolia around thanksgiving to felsenthal in the mid 90’s For my first green timber hunt. I was prob 10 years old. I was hooked and have hunted consistently since. In my late teens and twenties we started hunting in the scatters. We had a camp with some high school friends and we had too much fun. And we wholesale slaughtered mallards.... we shot limits everyday of season that we hunted except one day as late as 2012. You couldn’t hardly shoot them out. But something started to change and that something was tree topping. Sure sky busting/tree topping has always gone on. But back in the day you heard series of big volleys in the woods (you’d always comment on what hole you thought was shooting and who the likely shooters were). And then it would quieten down for a bit and another big volley would ring out.

Now people show up and tree top from the first second after shooting hours. All morning.... it’s a series of single or pairs of pop shots. You can’t hardly work a group past two passes and a single shot will ring out and lift them up. The big volleys still happen occasionally but nothing like they used too. The ducks get crazy nearly as soon as they get here and won’t listen to a call or even think about working a lot of mornings.

This is just one part of a series of issues we are facing for the ducks to act right again. In my opinion it’s a bigger issue than being off a hour earlier or some of these other regulations. Heck....how many times do you show up at ramp at 11 am and more than a handful of trucks are still there

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 10:30 AM
  17. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There are so many problems adversely affecting duck hunting it isnt much different than turkeys. We killed limits of ducks almost every trip up until 2011 - and we werent hunting anywhere near public green timber. Hunting pressure, local habitat change, habitat change in other states, changing weather, decreasing duck numbers, changing technology - none of it is favoring AR duck hunting. When there is another dry spell on the prairies, combined with our present pattern of warm winters, a lot of us AR duck hunters are going to experience what it is like to hunt in Georgia or South Carolina.

orangefeetdown likes this.
  18. DuckEngr

DuckEngr Well-Known Member

I agree. The new time rule is silly. Most folks are gone by then anyway. All you’re doing is hurting the folks who go the extra mile to get away from the circus.

I distinctly remember one morning, in 2012 or maybe 2013, when we had a group of ducks start to finish then bail last second. As we sat their scratching our heads my buddy looked at me and said “man if I didn’t know better, I’d say these ducks are already hole shy.” He was right. It was day 3 of the season. Hasn’t changed much except for a few cold snaps since then.

orangefeetdown and brushcreek like this.
  19. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

I stood next to a tree in a well known walk in spot Bayou Meto and watched of group of five or six men stand under a hole in the timber and shoot ducks as they flew at a fast clip over the hole. These were all grown men—— not teenagers or college kids and Arkansans for the record. They hunt this way every time I see them. I wouldn’t call it Hunting but this is what they do. The mindset is the heck with the rest of the world, I am going to get mine. Our young men and women are getting the shaft in the process.

20. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

Some of the commissioners have the best interests of common, everyday Arkansans at heart. The reason for the 12:00 PM rule and the no boats on Bayou Meto during the Splits is men were seen well into the afternoon (as in 3:00 PM) running Ducks out of the woods by commissioners not by other people calling it in. If commissioners care enough to take their own time and actually see what is going on, I respect that. Most of these men and women can hunt anywhere they want to and don’t have to rely on public land to kill a Duck. Recently, I have seen scores of men in the woods right up until the end of legal. It used to not be like that but it is now. Hunting now consists of sky busting and vectoring in on other people’s shooting after you’ve stood next to a tree for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Once you find where other people are shooting, then you mark the coordinates and share them with all your buddies but tell them not to share with anyone else and of course, they don’t. (Tongue in Cheek)

What we need to get real concerned about is the blockage of Bayou Meto around the Reydell area that is not on AGFC land and thus they are caught in the middle. There has been hot water on the timber of Bayou Meto for the last four consecutive summers. If Bayou Meto is not already one big deadening and we don’t know it yet, it will be. There is a $25 Million Pump in place that can lift the water off of BM if the blockage is cleared. The estimated price tag is $12 Million and it will require the construction of a new bridge or bridges. I would gladly pay a temporary assessment on my hunting license of State Duck Stamp to fund fixing this disaster in the making. I would do the same for any other AR WMA in a similar predicament even if I don’t hunt there.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    ChadL likes this.