Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they needed for safety purposes?

I mentioned these issues in another thread, but I think these issues need to be discussed in a thread of their own.

Should hunters be limited to shotguns only on public land?

Should gun and ML deer hunters be required to hunt from an elevated stand?

Should dogs for deer hunting purposes be banned on public land?

With the number of hunters wanting and needing to utilize public land, it seems to me that these issues need to be addressed by the AGFC and the Feds before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts

I mentioned these issues in another thread, but I think these issues need to be discussed in a thread of their own.

Should hunters be limited to shotguns only on public land? I think some should. There are places where rifle hunting is pointless as most ethical shots would be 50 yards and less, like most of the Weddington WMA. But on Hobbs, Muddy Creek, Pond Creek and Winona (I've hunted all) there are some ligimate 150-200 yard shots, not a lot, but they are there.

Should gun and ML deer hunters be required to hunt from an elevated stand?No, unfair cost issues and much of the public land in Arkansas is so hilly that most people are elivated wherever they are.

Should dogs for deer hunting purposes be banned on public land?Should be regulated or inforced more than it is now

With the number of hunters wanting and needing to utilize public land, it seems to me that these issues need to be addressed by the AGFC and the Feds before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

1. I wouldn't be against it, but limiting the number of permits would (or should) keep the hunters far enough apart.

2. No, I agree with johnf with the cost issues, and there are a lot of people who are afraid of heights and/or injury from falling from an elevated stand. I think it would more of a safety benefit to require enclosed blinds to be marked on 4 sides with at least 400 sq. inches of some legal blaze orange or lime green, tho.

3. I used to hunt in front of dogs, but have no desire to now. It might be an idea to allow dogs on WMA's that are in "legal to run dogs" areas, if there are any anymore.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
1. I wouldn't be against it, but limiting the number of permits would (or should) keep the hunters far enough apart.

2. No, I agree with johnf with the cost issues, and there are a lot of people who are afraid of heights and/or injury from falling from an elevated stand. I think it would more of a safety benefit to require enclosed blinds to be marked on 4 sides with at least 400 sq. inches of some legal blaze orange or lime green, tho.

3. I used to hunt in front of dogs, but have no desire to now. It might be an idea to allow dogs on WMA's that are in "legal to run dogs" areas, if there are any anymore.

I agree.

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
If you only allow hunting from elevated stands does that mean that I can't shoot I deer I see while going to my stand? Does it also mean that I can't walk a looooong way to get to my stand? No and No. What I'm saying is that it is an unenforcable law. Why have it?

I would hate to see rifles banned. Let's face it, today's slugs and esp. muzzleloaders are perfectly cabable of 150 to 200 yd. shots anyway, so what are you gaining by outlawing rifles. Most public land isn't Ohio where you could potentionlly shoot a house 1/4 mile across a field.

And I don't really have a horse in the race with dogs, but I sure wish somebody would do something one way or the other so everyone on here would quit the whining and crying on both sides of the issue.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

Well since this is hypothetical and the suggestions so far are ...........well .......I'll let you assume what I was going to say.............here are a few more......

-Gov't land tracts of less than 200 acres being of relative smallness will be automatically leased to adjacent landowners or lessees.
This will ensure SAFETY banning all others from using it thus reducing the risk of injurys due to idiots hunting that don't know the lay of the land.

-All deer hunter will wear a flashing light upon their heads so others have absolute visibility of them and must be worn and flashing at all times!

-Gun hunters must keep thier single bullet in their front right shirt pocket and only load just prior to shooting to promote the "Barney safety program".

-Bow hunters can only hunt the ground with arrows in possession. This promotes safety by reducing the risks of stray arrows falling upon the ground that might potentially harm the root system of the tree.

There are my suggestions ................:razz:

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
Why do people want to keep coming up with banning certain types of hunting? If we keep this up we will soon not have to worry about it, cause hunting will be banned.
But my response to the question(s) are; NO!, NO!, and NO Comment!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Why do people want to keep coming up with banning certain types of hunting? If we keep this up we will soon not have to worry about it, cause hunting will be banned.
But my response to the question(s) are; NO!, NO!, and NO Comment!
To try and answer your question..............selfish,self centered and self educated!

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
NO NO and NO .................Did I say ...NO The more I Hunt Private land the more I hate to hunt public land for all the friggin REGS...and I hate the dang Dog as much as anyone, But i'll take care of my problems with them myself..

Ya, go ahead limit license's all that mean is they will lose more revenue... that aint gonna happen...Do you really think if you couldnt get a hunting license because you didnt get drawn that most people would just say ok I wont hunt this year .... Thats just a invitation to poach at least this way they collect from EVERYONE who wants to hunt ....:smack:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
NO NO and NO .................Did I say ...NO The more I Hunt Private land the more I hate to hunt public land for all the friggin REGS...and I hate the dang Dog as much as anyone, But i'll take care of my problems with them myself..

Ya, go ahead limit license's all that mean is they will lose more revenue... that aint gonna happen...Do you really think if you couldnt get a hunting license because you didnt get drawn that most people would just say ok I wont hunt this year .... Thats just a invitation to poach at least this way they collect from EVERYONE who wants to hunt ....:smack:
WE finally agree on something :thumb:

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,594 Posts

NO. If someone wants to use a .338 RUM in tight woods at deer 20 yds away - that is their business. But they should be responsible for what they do/cause.

And some rifles in the older chamberings are not all that much more lethal at range than a shotgun - and more regulations just makes for more income for the G&F, and won't make much difference from a safety point of view.

Who is going to build me a stand on public ground to hunt from? Or who is going to buy me a heavy-duty climber for my lard butt to climb?

And as others have said - does that mean I cannot shoot a deer I stumble across while going to/from the stand?

While I haven't had too many major issues personally with dogs, dogs on public land present a problem - especially in smaller tracts. I think continuing to allow dogs on public land is encouraging folks to break the law.

If regulated enough - and limited to a small well-publicized window of time, then a controlled hunt with dogs on SOME public lands might be do-able.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yes to these questions will be cutting your own throats. You would have one foot in petas bed and they would be trying to get the other one in. Peta would love you.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I want to thank everyone who has responded to this thread. :biggrin:

I was wondering whether to renew my lease membership for 08-09 or to go back to hunting public land again. With out a doubt, I will renew my lease membership.

At least on our lease, everyone knows where everyone else is hunting and the only dogs we have are the stray house dogs wandering through our property.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P.S.

I will still bow hunt public land, just not during gun or ML season. I'll save my gun and ML hunting for the lease.

Sorry but I value my life and the lives of those that I hunt with.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry Duck was writing my last two posts while you posted.

But I have to ask what the :censored: does PETA have to do with safety issues on public land?

In my opinion, the current state of affairs on most public lands in Arkansas during gun and ML seasons is a dream come true for PETA.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Funny thing is 99% of the time I hunt with a Bow from a elevated stand ....
.75%of the time with a gun from a elevated stand and .25% of the time hunting from the ground ....

But do I want anyone to tell me or any other hunter HOW I can nor Cant Hunt is 1st and foremost IMHO... UNAMERICAN

The only reason I have found that some states permit shotguns only like Iowa is because of the close proximity to houses and they have NO TREES..... UNLIKE ARKANSAS... Its Not for Hunter Safety....

Forcing people to hunt from a Elevated stand is another joke ...
Ok now what Height 3' 8' 14' 20' ???
If someone now gets kill from falling out is the STATE going to be responsible ???

and then theres the DOGS again .... Face it not very many hunters like the AVG Hunter with Dogs but again I dont think many Hunters being mostly Conservitives wanna be told or tell someone else... How ,Where or When to do most anything ... Thats what WE call America the FREE... :usa:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Hunting in and of itself is potentally dangerous. Too many unknowns and variables to cover all the what ifs. I would not be in favor of restricting WMA's to ML or shotgun for the reasons stated already. How many accidents are on record of someone being shot on a WMA by a rifle hunter? How many were shot on private or leased land? Answer that one then plan.

Some older folks do not need more reasons to quit hunting and younger folks do not need more things to carry, so no on the elevated stands being mandatory as well.

I like dogs running where I hunt about as much as I like 4 wheelers running where I hunt. But the public land is for us all so some compromises may be needed as to when and who can be where at what time.

The small tracts of Gov. land do not need to be leased to anyone if its restricts any of us from using what we all pay for. There are several honeyholes that are 40-120 acres that adjoin huntable properties and have access.

I don't like hats, orange vest, flashlights to my stand or the idea of marking blinds, stands or people.

I am sure hunter safety colors have saved lives and I can and do live with wearing it. I also wear a safety belt when I am in a stand just like I did when I climbed 400' towers to change bulbs. Safety only works with common sense and willingness to use it correctly. I have seen folks in the woods with hunter orange on and rolled up where only a small area was able to be seen. I wear my hat so far back on my head and turned backwards that you can barely see it from the front. Not the safest way to wear it but it is legal. I would not think of not wearing a safety belt in a tree stand but if it wasn't illegal I wouldn't wear orange. My dad always made me wear red plaid jackets when we deer hunted before orange vest and hats wear the norm. You can't fix stupid and you can't make a safe hunter out of folks with more rules. Pretty soon you just have pissed off guys and girls trying to abide by rules they didn't break in the past and growing weary of more gov. in their lives, their recreational time at that.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I personally havent had any problem getting away from most hunters during gun season... I've never had a problem with another hunter in the field... Camp might be another story but not in the field.... I think that if someone thinks these rules are a good thing for their safety in the woods this Person might seriously consider just staying home ... its safer there anyways :biggrin:

Life is a Risk.... Some of us get a rush from that.. Others just wanna crap their pants and whine for MORE GOV rules to make it the way THEY want it .....I say Buy your own land and HUNT HOW YOU WANT TO -->There you can make your own Rules...:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Your concerns about safety on public property are unfounded. It is more dangerous to drive your vehicle to a hunting spot pvt./public than it is to hunt.

There are some careless hunters to worry about but a lot more careless drivers. Never-the-less we must cope with them as best we can. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts