Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new 08-09 guide books are online.

This looks like new language to me: "Mobility-Impaired Access Permit holders may use an ATV on Commission-owned WMAs, but must be at least 100 feet but no more than 300 feet from the center of maintained roads or designated mobilityimpaired access trails when hunting. Permit holders must keep the ATV within sight while hunting and may only go beyond the 300-foot zone to retrieve big game."

I have looked at my 07-08 guide book and I can't find this language in it.

This regulation (if enforced) will put a stop to my problem on my favorite WMA.

The only thing better would be for the GFC to require some sort of decal on the ATV, and if the ATV doesn't have said decal, it would be okay to cut the tires on said ATV. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh yeah, one other thing, do not allow ATV's to be used for coon hunting at night with or without a mobility impaired permit.

· Banned
10,245 Posts
Looks to me like they are screwing with the handicapped guys, 100 feet while bowhunting, up to 100 yards.

Who was the brains that came up with that one.

I agree they don't need to be riding all over the woods, but what does it matter how far they hunt from their 4 wheeler?

What if they go squirrel hunting or something?

And the next question, is who is going to enforce it?

I bet this one gets in court fast.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
The wma that I hunt it is enforced. The first year of the atv ban the opening morning of muzzleloader season I could hear them all over the place. In fact some guy from texas followed me down a road before daylight with an atv in the back of his truck. I didn't tell him that they had been banned that year I figured he would find out for himself. As the day went on I heard less and less atvs till in the afternoon I didn't hear another one. The last few years the only ones that I have seen were in the back of trucks.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
They give you a card that is supposed to be attacted to the ATV. Actually I'm glad to see this. It's nice to know you don't have to sit on the trail to hunt which I always though was kinda stupid. I don't have a handicap card but I have a friend that does but they don't have a four wheeler so sometimes I take them out with mine. I have to get a paper signed from the area manger to go with them as thier helper.

· Banned
10,245 Posts
Ok did I read this wrong, it was late last night?

Is it saying you can take your 4-wheeler out in the woods up to 100 yards, but you must keep it within site?

I think that is what it's saying.

Sorry for my misinterpretation.

· Registered
6,534 Posts
Ok did I read this wrong, it was late last night?

Is it saying you can take your 4-wheeler out in the woods up to 100 yards, but you must keep it within site?

I think that is what it's saying.

Sorry for my misinterpretation.
One of the places where I hunt they are not allowed except during the special three day hunt other that that you walk.

· Registered
230 Posts
My Dad had both knees replaced and has one of those permits to ride a wheeler on WMA's. He has always parked on the road and hobbled out to his stand, I doubt he would ride out in the woods even if it was legal.

As for the helper permit, He usually gets me one to help him carry in and out his stand and retrieve his deer if he gets one. I usally just drag his deer out to the road instead of us running thru the woods on the wheeler. I will either ride on his rig or take my own rig, but you must stay with the mobility inpaired permit holder (no riding around on your own). I park where ever he parks and walk to my stand, we use radios to stay in touch.

He gets the helper permit from the regional AGFC office, not the area manager.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.