Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say thanks for the comments I received here on a couple of rifles I was considering. :thumb: I ended up getting a Sako AV in 338 Win Mag and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5X10X44 at the gun show this weekend in Ft Worth. The rifle is stainless with a fiberclass (I think that's what they call it) stock, it also has a custom muzzle brake and trigger job. I haven't shot it yet, hopefully it will shoot good.

I can't remember seeing so many good deals at a show before. I saw a couple of Tikka's (used) for under $400, a savage 7 mag for $195, and several Glocks and a couple od Colts that were cheaper than I have seen anywhere. Too bad I didn't have more $$.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can upload it to photobucket.com, or i am PM'ing you my e-mail and I will post it for you
Thanks, I sent it.

I also sent a second pic of a couple of pistols I picked over the summer. One is a Colt Defender in 45acp and the other is a Ruger Flattop in 44 mag. my dad recently gave me. It was made in 1957 and has been in my family almost the entire time. I just someone might enjoy seeing them.

Thanks Huntbigbucs! :thumb:

I just got a chance to shoot the rifle this weekend. Once I got it zeroed, my first (and only for the day) three shot group measured .84" at 100 yards. I was very pleased and think I can do better in time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you have excellent taste. That rifle would cost me more... it would require an elk or moose hunting trip at least. :up:
Thanks! Actually I have a cow tag for the fourth season rifle hunt in Unit 2 in CO in November. It really didn't cost much...the tag was $250 and I got my airfare for less that that. Hopefully a moose and/or caribou hunt is in my future. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Make sure you use ear protection when you shoot that bad boy. Those vent holes increase the noise by a factor of 3! I had a Browning 300 mag that I had compensated. It was so loud that I sold it, couldn't even hunt with it. I'm already deaf enough from M60's and M14's.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Nice looking rifle, but as said before, be careful of that muzzle break. I bought a Browning with the BOSS..... I shot it one time and went to the store and bought a BOSS CR ( conventional Recoil ) That did the trick, you get the ability to tighten groups but without the muzzle break. I thought I had gone deaf on that one shot, but I got my hearing back after about 4 to 5 hours..... seriously... thats the truth. Now, I will not buy a gun with a muzzle break.

The pistols also look good. I almost bought a Defender in 9mm. I have been buying Colt Govt.'s and Mustang .380's instead. I love Colts, and the .380 govt. and Mustang in particular.

MET

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
Nice looking rifle, but as said before, be careful of that muzzle break. I bought a Browning with the BOSS..... I shot it one time and went to the store and bought a BOSS CR ( conventional Recoil ) That did the trick, you get the ability to tighten groups but without the muzzle break. I thought I had gone deaf on that one shot, but I got my hearing back after about 4 to 5 hours..... seriously... thats the truth. Now, I will not buy a gun with a muzzle break.
I had EXACTLY the same experience with a 300 Win Mag A Bolt with the BOSS on it. I shot a deer and it hurt my ears so bad I thought they were going to bleed. They hurt for several days. I bought the BOSS CR and have used it for deer with no problem.

I bought this rifle and the guy who sold it said he had shot 3 shots with it and it was too loud for him. After I shot it, I understood what he meant. I did all my sighting in with muffs on, so I didn't realize how loud it was going to be until I shot the deer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.