New Puppy - worm question

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by dunnhead, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dunnhead

dunnhead Well-Known Member

We got our kids a basset puppy for Christmas. She's about to turn 3 months, and the lady we bought her from said she was wormed her right before we got her. I haven't seen it yet, but my wife and Brother-in-law both said she had worms in her stool. They're white, 3/4-1" long, and about as wide as a grain of rice. Any ideas on what these are or how to treat them? Just from doing some internet research I'm guessing tapeworms, but I'd like more info. Thanks for the help.

2. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

from my experience that is normal. since she wormed it before you got it, it sounds like its doing its job. someone else might have more experience on this though.

3. Oakhill

Oakhill Well-Known Member

Sounds like tapeworms to me. I would give the pup another good worming.

4. rgwill

rgwill Well-Known Member

If the owner didn't have proof of medical records or anything I would take the dog to the vet.

5. chadburgess2003

chadburgess2003 Well-Known Member

:up:

6. just take a sample of stool to your vet. My dogs have had it and they just got a shot, took care of it within a day or so. Easy to get rid of. Check the dog really good, and any other pets for fleas. If they or any other animal have them chances are they will get worms again. If you find fleas treat all pets and your home. Sheets, carpet ect. Hope it's nothing. Bassett sure are a pretty dog :)

7. Eagle Dad 44

Eagle Dad 44 Well-Known Member

What you are describing sounds like tapeworm segments being shed through the stool. I would take fecal sample into your veterinarian to have them look for other intestinal parasites. Be sure to tell them what you are seeing since the tapeworms tend to shed packets of eggs and not found individually in the stool.
    So your veterinarian may not find the tapeworm eggs in the stool itself.
    It is easily treated but remember there is a link between fleas and the tapeworm infections, so get him treated good for fleas too.

Chris

8. dunnhead

This is interesting. My wife used a scooper to clean up after her. There were some small, white things left on the scooper that she showed me later. They were a little shorter & fatter than a grain of rice. I assumed they were just worms that had shriveled up because of the cold. Could these be the eggs you're talking about?

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I haven't spent much time in this sub-forum, but I've learned a lot already.

9. Eagle Dad 44

Eagle Dad 44 Well-Known Member

Those are actually the segments I was talking about not the eggs. The eggs are microscopic in size.

chris

10. dunnhead

I forgot to update this thread until now.... She did have tapeworms. The vet gave her a pill and she's good as new now. Thanks for the help!