Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the first 3 days of season north of Mulberry in White Rock WMA just like I do every year. Worst season I've ever had up there. Didn't hear a single gobble even though the weekend before heard 2 birds in the area I like to hunt. Very little heard the first week up there from other guys that have hunted up there for years and know the area well. Wasn't much better last weekend. Friend of mine tells me they are just starting to gobble good in the Y City area. As luck would have it I'm on 2nd shift next week and hope to get some hunting in. Any good reports from Chaffee or the White Rock area? What about the rest of the state from those of you like me that still have plenty of tags left?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hunted Harold Alexander WMA first weekend,cold and cloudy,had a bird come in smokin and hung up on a creek,heard two second morning but there was someone already there on em and he ran them off with a crow call and hard loud cutting,dont know why he done that.Came home and killed one here at the house the first Monday,went to Mt. Ida last Sunday on the lake,heard two,they would'nt work (Bad call shy).Went back to the lake yesterday and hunted till noon,not a single gobble.Hunted here at the house this morning and not a sound.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Right at daylight had two gobbling on the roost and one across the field in the opposite direction. Set up on the two and they flew down and one took off away from me and the other came closer and closer and I was clucking and purrin. He was comin' through the woods. There was a fence between us and I never did see him, real thick. Sounded like he went right down the fence on the other side and then silence. Went to the field and called the one over there and spotted him with 5 hens and he was struttin his stuff. He through his head up at me twice and the hens took him away. Then about 7:30 the first one I was working gobbled again about 5 times. And that was it. These birds all have their hens and I can't get them to do anything. Any tips ??

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,185 Posts
Right at daylight had two gobbling on the roost and one across the field in the opposite direction. Set up on the two and they flew down and one took off away from me and the other came closer and closer and I was clucking and purrin. He was comin' through the woods. There was a fence between us and I never did see him, real thick. Sounded like he went right down the fence on the other side and then silence. Went to the field and called the one over there and spotted him with 5 hens and he was struttin his stuff. He through his head up at me twice and the hens took him away. Then about 7:30 the first one I was working gobbled again about 5 times. And that was it. These birds all have their hens and I can't get them to do anything. Any tips ??
KILL the hens!:up:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Only thing I know to do now is try and ambush him.(don't like doing that) Or run into them like in the fall and try to call him back. Or wait until the hens start setting, if I got time....only next week left. Maybe around midmorning noonish when the hens go lay ??/ Shoot I don't know, guess that's what makes it turkey huntin' :biggrin:

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
Hey antler,if you can get away try your henned up birds later in the morn.maybe 11:00-2:00.Has worked good for me in the past.This year seems to be late to me.Probably will get good about the time the season closes..Bowtime...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.