Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make a food plot this year and I know I need a soil test for optimum results. I would like some input as to what I should plant. I'm thinking of trying rye grass, turnips and oats but I'm not sure. Can someone give me some advantages/disadvantages of these? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Sounds like a good combination to me :thumb: Just make sure your fertilize it.

I personally plant Ryegrass, wheat, oats, clover, and rape. I have always found this combination to make a very good plot.

· Registered
827 Posts
Food plot

I'm going to make a food plot this year and I know I need a soil test for optimum results. I would like some input as to what I should plant. I'm thinking of trying rye grass, turnips and oats but I'm not sure. Can someone give me some advantages/disadvantages of these? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The mix is pretty good. As Cory Gray would say , clover and more clover. To that I would add Austrian winter peas, turnips (Cause I can eat the greens and the bulb at camp.) , winter wheat, buckwheat ( this stuff literally jumps out of the ground and the deer will eat nearly all of it while the other stuff gets going.) It is my understanding that rye is used extensively in food plots but if creating a stand of clover it will eventually choke out the clover and is diffcult to get rid of. Clover is expensive but continues year round with a little mowing and care.

· Registered
827 Posts
Rye

Thanks! Have you noticed the ryegrass choking out the clover?
Several years ago I went to a QDMA Convention and one of the speakers (I can't recall the name) is the fellow that put together the Biologic formulations. Some of the first products for food plots. I remember very well several statements he made. Two of these were: 1. "Give me a gravel road and I'll give you a food plot." 2. "As for all of you that use Rye , well you can go to --------!! Then he explained from there.
I took him for his word and liked other plants better.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Thanks! Have you noticed the ryegrass choking out the clover?
I plant mine strickly for wildlife. What the rye grass does is thicken the plot. Here in south AR our deer population is so great without the rye grass there you would not have anything left for them to eat (unless you can plant a big food plot). My plots are green (with all varieties) from the first rain they get until after turkey season. After that I could care less what they do. In December they actually look like someone has mowed them down with a lawnmower set on low. The deer absoloutly kill em!!! I always plant in September, but do not hunt them until muzzleloading season.

Here's a pic

· Suspended Indefinitely
2,956 Posts
Every location is different and like manybeards said, in a small food plot you may want ryegrass. Soil test for ph also, Lime makes fertilizer work better.

We live in an area full of wheat in the fall. If we plant a food plot, it is clover or alfalfa to attract deer off of wheat. Alfalfa is not cheap to plant or maintain.

Turnips are easy to plant and good to eat. Just work the ground lightly and make sure it is not too loose. Scatter the turnips with fertilizer. Harrow very lightly and wait for a rain

· Registered
647 Posts
why would anyone plant perennial rye and want to get rid of it? you plant annual rye and it lasts a year. i plant annual rye because 1. it controls certain weeds better than herbicides.2 young weaned fawns love it as well as anything.3. clover grows great in annual rye- it keeps the weeds from over taking the clover. the last annual rye i bought was 70 cent lb. perennial rye is 1.40 lb<- last years prices. tip= buy your seeds from farmer coop or local seed company. biologic and whitetail clover is a rip off:thumb:

· Registered
76 Posts
winchester, i would also stay away from the perennial rye grass. straight rye, the annual is a good one. in starting out right take the soil test and lime if needed and i'd bet it's needed and fertilize as per soil test. all this ain't going to be cheap anymore with the price of fertilizer now. starting in the spring i'd plant sunflowers and cow peas. deer like sunflowers better than peas and they dearly love peas. i'd stay away from the austrian winter peas. i've yet to see a deer eat one here. come along about the last week in august or the first week of sept i'd sow wheat and if you have the nerve just sow it on top of the ground and if it rains it will germinate and take root. wheat or rye. and in dec. come in with your clover sowed on top. if you work the ground to plant the wheat or rye i'd still not work it to plant the clover. some people plant clover on snow. clover needs to be planted either in the fall or very early spring. and depending on how big of a food plot you are talking about and how many deer you have if you plant 10 acres of sunflowers and peas and have lots of deer they will eat them to the ground by early sept. i use too tools to do my plots. a three point seeder and an offset disc.

longb.

· Registered
Marlin .308 Bolt and Compound Bow ..
6,005 Posts
I put in a small food plot last fall it was easy and fairly cheap ...

1st I had the dirt turned up lightly with a dozer :biggrin:

2nd I put down lime pellets

3rd I put down fetilizer pellets and waited for a month

4th I spread Lotsa of ladino clover then I spread lotsa of Buck forage oats and then I spread some turnip seed...and this mix is simply throw and grow I have been out to my plot and there are deer trails all thru it .. the clovers are huge... I will try and get some pictures this weekend I'm going to go mow it for the 1st time ..I did a 1/4 -1/2 acre for about $50-$75

The oats come up fast and give the Clover time to get established ...

I looked at it about a month ago and it looks Great just needs mowing now..

I'd like to add some honeysuckle ... anyone have any thoughts on that ??

· Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,107 Posts
Find you some native honeysuckle where you hunt and fertilize it with 13-13-13 just before a rain. It'll really do it some good. It'll be a good late season spot to hunt.

A lot of folks overlook fertilizing native vegetation. I've been doing it for a few years, and I've been really impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.