New ducks

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by SwampCat, Dec 21, 2012.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Got out a little while yesterday afternoon. Killed a few but killed almost everyone I saw. Was expecting some new ducks with the front, but they did not make it yesterday. Did not see a duck going to the hole this morn and have not heard one while sitting here in the dark waiting on LST. Hard to hear anything over the roar of all the mud motors Anyone else see any new ducks yesterday?

2. swamppimp

swamppimp Well-Known Member

There is a guide service by the house and its been empty for about a week or so but yesterday the ducks were pouring back in there. I'm assuming new birds.

3. Deerslayer 1384

Deerslayer 1384 Well-Known Member

Maybe a dumb question, but how can I tell if a duck is a new duck or not? I heard the the whole orange feet thing, but I don't buy into that too much. We killed six limits yesterday and they all seemed very thin to me... Like they had been flying for a while and hadnt stopped to eat in a bit...? I don't know. Maybe a dumb question.

4. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SWA
    Only way I can tell is the bright orange feet and little to no fat on them when you clean them. Both are a guess at best.

..but I don't clean ducks anymore so I go by the orange feet

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I expected to see some new ducks after this front,but I havent seen any increase yet. Maybe they stopped in Mo. These ducks we have are the same ones we started the season with. They are gun shy,call shy,hole shy,and spinner shy.

6. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

Orange feet doesnt neccessarily mean flight ducks, Male birds are the ones with color cause thats how they mate, plumage

7. Double Beard

Double Beard Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner

New Ducks.... Substantial increase in number of birds seen in an area.... bigger groups of birds.... better working birds.... we got em here!!

8. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

The first thing to note is that not all ducks have orange feet. However in many species of ducks and other birds the feet are bright orange, red, or yellow. The physiological reason for the coloration is the skin contains carotene and related compounds. The question is: why carotene, making the skin orange, rather than another compound that would make the skin a different color?

The answer seems to have to do with the attraction that these traits hold for members of the opposite sex. In some species orange (or red, blue or yellow) feet (or heads, wings, beaks, etc.) perform this function, while in others it is wattles, combs, inflatable throat pouches, loud noises, long tails, special feathers, metallic-colored spots, extravagant displays, and smells. These traits seems to have evolved because they have power to attract mates. Lots of work has amply demonstrated this to be true in many species in a variety of interesting ways.

http://www.science.ca/askascientist/viewquestion.php?qID=165

9. letmland

letmland Well-Known Member

Red Legs is a misconception. The mallards get "red legs" from hormonal changes as peak breeding time approaches. This has nothing to do with being up north, new ducks, etc...mature Mallards in a pen here in Arkansas,year rd., will get red legs as their plumage peaks.

10. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I'm not sure about new mallards, but there's a TON of gadwalls in my area right now...Ponds are covered up.

11. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

Hunted Oklahoma and expected a push - didnt see any sign of one even gaddies acting smart rafting up in the middle of the lake - killed a few but not the mallard numbers I was looking for

12. rcc

rcc Well-Known Member

NEAR
    Here is the fix.

1. spinner shy...They don't look like a duck and are a gimic. Leave this at home.
    2. call shy...you don't sound as much like a duck as you think. Leave this at home or in pocket.
    3. hole shy...find place with no hole and use fewer decoys
    4. gun shy...go shoot some trap or skeet and then don't shoot until the birds are close. Dead ducks don't go back and tell the relatives about your hunting spot.

Now go kill some ducks.

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Made a BIG round today. There are less ducks in this neck of the woods than there were on Tuesday. Even on my ponds - there were gadwall on all three of my ponds for the last couple of weeks and even they left. I have seen them move out before with a thunderstorm. Guess they did it again.

14. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Buck it looks like you got a pro trying to help ya out :fit::razz:

15. timv

timv Well-Known Member

I think they may have rode the hurricane winds on south of us.

16. Ducks will almost always move out in front of a big line of storms. Where they go I have no idea.

You want a push of new ducks mid season you need the ice line to move south or get ducks coming over from the Central flyway due to plains weather.

17. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow thanks for the advice rcc.I'll try those things.I'm new at this game any advice will be appreciated. :twothumbs

18. Know that the traditional peak for mallards in Arkansas is from right now to the first week in Jan. On average that is when we'll hold the most ducks. This warm weather pattern has kinda messed that up though........

If you are new to hunting try to get on ducks early in the season...... decoys, spinners, big holes etc will work better. After about january 8th there are few "new" ducks........ you've got to be able run that call and shoot for the most part.

19. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info.I have been checking out the wma's this morning.I sure dont want to be an internet scouter. I have remotes on 4 of my robos,should I remote the other 3 or just leave them as they are? It is really getting disheartening watching the ducks drop part way into the hole and pull back out. I am thinking I might need to go to a larger shot size.I am shooting Expert 4's right now and seem to be crippling as many as I kill. Any suggestions ?

20. webbtoes

webbtoes Well-Known Member

bbb gets them good in the woods:up: And up the robos to six with one of them things that spin the spinners