Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LITTLE ROCK – Arkansas hunters can begin planning their vacations now that commissioners from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission have formally approved the upcoming season dates. In a 4-2 vote, commissioners passed the seasons for modern gun, archery and muzzleloader deer seasons.
The proposals include calendar adjustments, new codes, code revisions and code clarifications.
Proposed season dates for the 2008-2009 deer hunting season:
Archery – All zones: Oct. 1 to Feb. 28.
Modern Gun - Zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11: Nov. 8-30.
Zone 4: Nov. 8-9.
Zone 5: Nov. 8-9 and Nov. 15-16.
Zone 4A, 5A, 13, 14 and 15: Nov. 8-Dec. 7.
Zones 4B and 5B: Nov. 8-16.
Zones 9 and 12: Nov. 8-Dec. 14.
Zone 16, 16A and 17: Nov. 8-Dec. 25.
Muzzleloader - Zones 1, 2, 3, 4A, 5A, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 15: Oct. 18-26 and Dec. 13-15.
Zones 9, 12, 16, 16A and 17: Oct. 18-26 and Dec. 29-31.
Zones 4, 4B, 5 and 5B: Closed.

I would like to thank Chairman Sonny Varnell and the other commissioners for doing away with the split season. He just confirmed all the above with me.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
looks the same for zone 12 as all years in the past. so much for taking steps to implement that big cluster of a deer plan in regards to season dates

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
With the split it would have ended the 7th of December. So no they really didn't shorten it a week it just got moved but I did say that would happen

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I would like to thank Chairman Sonny Varnell and the other commissioners for doing away with the split season. He just confirmed all the above with me.
A Chairman that actually listens and understands what "biological sideboards" means.

Good job sir....:wink:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
With the split it would have ended the 7th of December. So no they really didn't shorten it a week it just got moved but I did say that would happen
I don't have a clue just what it is that you just posted???

Any way you look at this...

they had 20 hunting days in the 07 season.

In the 08 season...they will have 23 days to hunt.

Twenty three is three more than twenty.......

·
Registered
19,145 Posts
looks the same for zone 12 as all years in the past. so much for taking steps to implement that big cluster of a deer plan in regards to season dates
The deer plan stuff want be till next year.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
School kids (and teachers) can hunt the Wednesday before Thanksgiving..again. :applaud:
Right Mule man. :thumb:

A lot of the schools and most of the universities are out for the entire week. This is a lot of the 16-25 year old group that we are losing in the deer hunting ranks. Now these younger hunters can be out there deer hunting instead of playing video games.

I'm proud that the commissioners righted this ship! There was not a biological reason ever given for the split.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The deer plan stuff want be till next year.
I thought the OF's hunt with the "youth hunters" was part of the "Deer Plan". The Plan has been approved and any revised/new regulation WILL be made under the Plan.....whether planned or not.:cool:

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pgooch, Thanks to you if you had anything to do with it.
The thanks really needs to go to Sonny Varnell, the chairman. All I did was talk with him about this. We discussed this in detail.

Most of us are quick to criticize the commissioners when they make a decision that we don't like. You wouldn't believe how far a simple "Thank you" will go when they do something right.

Here is his email address: [email protected]

·
Administrator
41,031 Posts
Not that it really matters but I wonder why 2 voted against these dates and what they wanted instead?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Not that it really matters but I wonder why 2 voted against these dates and what they wanted instead?
FB...not clear as to "why" Commissioners Ron Pierce of Mountain Home and Craig Campbell of Little Rock voted no.

They may have objected to some other part of it.:wink:

As you noted...why in the world would they object to closing that (3 or 10 day) gap.????

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
The week of Thanksgiving is a slow time in my business and I am gratefull I can now take a day or two off and take my kids hunting. Now many kids can be in the woods and off the games.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts