Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm looking to get a new rifle,I've always shot odd ball guns,257 roberts,.444,.280,45-70, But I'm thinking of a more "traditional" caliber .270,.300. I mainly shot out to 150 yrds, but at camp I can shot as far as i want.I've had several 06 in the past and never really liked them.Any suggestions.. brand, caliber, also Bolt or single shot?:head:

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
If I were going to get a new deer gun it would probably be a bolt action 308. It's a tried and true deer caliber that can be loaded light for deer or yotes and heavy for moose. It's used in youth riffles and in professional sniper rifles. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and you'll be hard pressed to go anywhere ammo is sold and not find it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
my suggestion is the .06. I love them. Just like the 308 you can do anything you want with them. As far as the brand and model; depends on what you are doing with it. If your going to chase elk with it out west, you would be better off with a shorter, lighter gun. My personal deer rifle, the one I hunt with is a Ruger M77 all-weather. Its short. Stainless barrel, synthetic stock. Ive hunted with it everywhere from Colorado to Alabama.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I'd go with a 308 or 30/06......Both are extremely versatile, and can handle any North American Game with ease..........Now days, I prefer a single shot, for accuracy reasons, but any bolt gun is also very accurate.......not downgrading the auto's, I've just never been a fan of them, I guess cause I grew up on bolt guns and single shots........

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
If I were going to get a new deer gun it would probably be a bolt action 308. It's a tried and true deer caliber that can be loaded light for deer or yotes and heavy for moose. It's used in youth riffles and in professional sniper rifles. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and you'll be hard pressed to go anywhere ammo is sold and not find it.
If you don't want a 30/06, this is good advice.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what you hunt with at this time. The 308, 30/06 or 300 Mag won't do anything that you don't already have covered.

But if you just want to spend some $$, we're here to cheer you right on along!! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
You've already named two of my favorite calibers. The .257 Roberts and the .280 are two of my favorite. There isn't a thing on four legs in Arkansas that these two won't bring down.

If you already have either of the two there's no need for another rifle. The .280 is the most versatile of the two but either will work fine around Arkansas. I wouldn't be afraid to take the .280 Remington anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I am like you and have always shot odd ball cartridges. I have had or have all but one that you mentioned. I love my .280, but let's face it, you can buy ammo every where for it. I would get the .308, and be doen with it. I have a .30-06, just for the reason of I can find ammo every where for it, but it hardly ever makes it's way to the deer woods. I am thinking of getting another 7mm-08 soon, but with ammo prices, the .308 is slowly pulling ahead in my mind.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am like you and have always shot odd ball cartridges. I have had or have all but one that you mentioned. I love my .280, but let's face it, you can buy ammo every where for it. I would get the .308, and be doen with it. I have a .30-06, just for the reason of I can find ammo every where for it, but it hardly ever makes it's way to the deer woods. I am thinking of getting another 7mm-08 soon, but with ammo prices, the .308 is slowly pulling ahead in my mind.
That's one probem Finding ammo, not many folks carry odd ball cartridges even your bigger stores look at you funny when you come in looking for them.May have to look into a .308 :up:

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
That's one probem Finding ammo, not many folks carry odd ball cartridges even your bigger stores look at you funny when you come in looking for them.May have to look into a .308 :up:
A reloader would be cheaper than a new rifle. That way, you are never out of ammo and can laugh at the insanely high prices of ammo.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought about ruger 1,but read alot about accuracy probs. looked at Winchester @ Gander ,but the price was kinda shocking. Also looked a savage with accutrigger,sweet gun not bad on wallet,anybody shot one? I have owned several Savage guns all have been very good guns

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
Also looked a savage with accutrigger,sweet gun not bad on wallet,anybody shot one? I have owned several Savage guns all have been very good guns
I have 3 Savages, 2 with the Accu-Trigger. One is a heavy barreled 308 with the target A-T. It is set at 10oz, and breaks like a piece of glass. The other is a standard 30/06 and the A-T on it is set to 2.5 lbs. They both are great shooters. You won't go wrong getting a Savage.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,703 Posts
Have 270wsm, 300wby mag, 30-06,and 7mm mag. All great guns. You can't lose with any of them. If I had to pic favorites-270 or 30-06. Both are good all around hardware store rounds and are reliable.:thumb:

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
I've been eyeballing the Savage 14 Classic models pretty hard.
I'd like to get something in .308 or .243 for deer hunting South Arkansas deer.
If you are wanting something different then I'd suggest maybe getting a 7mm-08 or .260.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have had several and want a .257 w/mag.. But you cannot go wrong with a traditional .270, 7mm-08, or a 7mm Mag. I own a 1983 M-77 in 7mm Mag.
Excellent shooter. I also own an all weather in .243. You may look into the new Ruger 300 RCM. Shorter cartridge same ballistics as a 300 mag.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.