new boat motor

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by andrew, Dec 13, 2010.

1. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Thinkin about gettin a new duck boat. Going to get a sixteen foot xpress. Wondering what motor I should put on it. Idk much bout the new motors out except the are four stroke. Which one is lightest, fastest, and most dependable. Thanks

2. park duck

park duck Well-Known Member

3. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention it will be a 25.

4. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy a new motor, I hear the Evinrude Etec is the fastest. They were $3700 @ White River Marine in Augusta this weekend. One of the salesman said they would go 37mph but I called :bs:

5. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

I was thinking bout an e tec. Wutn sure how much more expensive they were than other brands

6. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

25HP on a 16'? how wide?

7. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

51".25 is the biggest you can have on bayou meto. I might go with the 1546

8. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

I would go with the 1546 if I were you. That extra 4 to 5 inches in the bottom will not help you out near as much as it might hurt you. I have one & it is about all the boat you want to have in the timber but it is still big enough to run the river without having to worry about it. As far as new motors, the ETec is #1 IMO, if you decide to go with a 4 banger, the Nissian 25 is about a tough of a 4 stroke as I have seen.

9. uaagr

uaagr Well-Known Member

I've got a 1648 Lowe with a Yamaha 25 four stroke. My boat will do between 25 and 27 (depending on how rough the water is) with just me in it. You will lose speed with a four stroke, a two stroke on my boat would get me up into the low to mid 30's. The motor is great, starts like a dream, runs quiet and smooth, no mixing oil and gas, etc. That being said, I had to put a whole new lower unit in it this summer. My buddy was driving it (never again) and hit a stump, completely FUBARed my lower unit. The problem is I have been in boats when we have hit stumps, jumped roads, jumped beaver damns, etc in a two stroke and have never torn up a lower unit. The guy that worked on it (bluff city boats) said, the yamaha 4 strokes just have a week lower unit and I believe it. Other than that I love it, but those four strokes are bigger and heavier (my 25 looks like it is a 40).

I have heard the etec's are fast, but I've also heard people are having problems with them. Apparently the motor is pretty complicated and any little thing will mess with the proper firing of the cylinders (apparently its firing sequence is what makes it so hot and efficient). I've also talked to a few people that didn't have a bad thing to say about it.

If I got rid of my motor, I would lean toward replacing it with a two stroke.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your search.

10. factory909

:head:
    i had a yamaha 2 stroke 25HP on my 1648, i felt like i could swim faster than it would run! i trade boats, and now have that same motor on a weldbilt 1442, and it will do 34-36 going down river. what kind of prop did you have??!

11. uaagr

uaagr Well-Known Member

I cant remember the diameter but prior to the stump fiasco I had a Yamaha 12 pitch. When I had the lower unit replaced, the guy said 12 was way too much for that motor so he ordered me the prop it comes from the factory with (maybe a 9 pitch.) It would run 27 with the 12 pitch; with the factory one it tops out at 25, but the hole shot is twice as fast as the 12. My boat is also a mod v, I'm not sure how much difference that would make.

12. jla

jla Well-Known Member

If your wanting more trouble free (not completely trouble free), I would find a late model JohnyRude if I wanted a workhorse or a Yamaha 3 cylinder if I wanted a race horse. The Suzuki is also a good motor but has less racehorse potential than the Yamaha for a couple of reasons. Any of them IN GOOD MECHANICAL CONDITION of course. 1200ish for the JohnyRude and 1800ish for the Yamaha. Asking prices for the Suzuki tend to be a little higher.

I believe the Etech is mechanically sound, its built on proven design, but to get the emmisions right there is a good deal of electronics ................... sub systems that add their own failure potential, I feel the same way about any oil injection.

13. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Do they stil make the 3cl yamahas?

14. jla

jla Well-Known Member

no sir.

From the late 80s early 90s they were badged as a 30, had all the options and most with oil injection.

from the late 90s and early 00s badged as a 25, have never seen one come e-start (it can be added), and were non oil injected.

Same motor otherwise, they both respond to intake and exhaust work, the 25 more than the 30 of course.

15. billymike03

billymike03 New Member

I jsu purchased a new etec and love it. I run it on a1546 express flatbottom. It will do over 30 mph but don't think it will hit 37.

16. headhunter_60

headhunter_60 Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

The skiff on a boat i work on is a 14foot x 48" wide monark and has a 25 yamaha 2stroke and it will run.

17. factory909