Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a new puppy and we are training. Lots of short training sessions getting to learn the basics. Retrieving is going great. Introduction to water has gone great. We’ve been walking fields and getting lots of exposure. Atv rides. Kids.
I’m a lab guy so this dog is a little different than what I’m used too. A little more independent but sharp as a tack. Looking forward to the future.
Dog Dog breed Braque francais Carnivore Grass
Water Water resources Plant Lake Bank
Plant Plant community Dog Carnivore Dog breed
Plant community Plant Carnivore Groundcover Terrestrial plant
Plant Natural landscape Land lot Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I was raised with drahthaars. Love em.
The first pup we had, we got when we lived in California. My dad found a German Wirehair club out there that had field trials, and they were OK with us entering Molly even though she was German registered. She took home a bunch of blue ribbons when she was a 1 year old pup, and suddenly they weren't so OK with it.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Tire Wheel Dog Plant Vehicle

I couldn’t help myself and picked up one of Bucky’s drathaar/Airedale pups about a week ago.

First day, she held a point on this chukkar wing for probably 30 seconds, but she hasn’t repeated one that good. She’s sharp as a tack though. I do a little work with her everyday and she’s already got come, sit, and stay down pretty well.

Don’t know what I’ll put her to use for, but wanted to get a bird dog breed this time even though I don’t see myself getting back into birds.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This dog is smart and hard headed. Some days she wants to fight. Other days she is perfection. Working through the basics daily and getting solid. Sit / stay, heel, here, load etc are all in good shape pre e collar. Retrieving doubles through decoys etc. a lot of drive to hunt. Been doing some light blood trail work. Good on utv, good on dog stand. Been getting acclimated to field work for game birds but haven’t introduced birds yet (I know I need too ASAP) Been more challenging than my labs but hope the reward will be worth the time.
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Window blind
Plant People in nature Natural landscape Grass Grassland
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Fawn

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Looking good!
Before you feel too rushed about getting her on birds. My dad encouraged me to read this old book he had titled "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith Method." He wouldnt do any serious bird dog training until 1 year old. Before that just lots of getting them out for fun runs in the field.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Those dogs are amazing... got a buddy with one and he's about to be certified with whatever paperwork they have to do to be considered a certified Drahthaar. He is absolutely incredible.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This one has really come a long way in the last month. Introduced e coller and pinch collar at same time. She is machine on the pinch coller. So making the transfer now. Getting adult teeth in. Not far off from force fetch. She is steady to gun fire. And could easily duck hunt tomorrow. Though I’m not gonna rush it.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Companion dog
Dog Plant Carnivore Tree Dog breed
Dog Water dog Water Dog breed Carnivore

·
Premium Member
29,494 Posts
View attachment 334223 This one has really come a long way in the last month. Introduced e coller and pinch collar at same time. She is machine on the pinch coller. So making the transfer now. Getting adult teeth in. Not far off from force fetch. She is steady to gun fire. And could easily duck hunt tomorrow. Though I’m not gonna rush it.
Great looking dog!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My training fell off dramatically with duck season. I continued obedience. Some casting work. Traffic cop drills. Etc. she has picked it up well and is now in the middle of force fetch. Definitely hard headed but knows the drill.

Over Christmas we were at the farm with the family and we did a pigeon hunt at grain bins and she did excellent. Steady to gun fire and retrieved to hand. Looking forward to the summer and really getting in a routine
Dog Water dog Vertebrate Carnivore Liver
Shoulder Smile Flooring Happy Eyewear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts