Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner<br>20
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Now that everyone is starting to fill their feeders I encourage everyone of you to get you a couple of DP traps and set them around your feeders. I can’t think of one thing that would help our turkey populations rebound better than removing a lot of these nest raiding coons. It’s the ONE thing that we can control ourselves. I can guarantee that those traps will pay for themselves in what the coons would eat in cost of corn. We’ve caught 11 in the last 3 weeks!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I grabbed my traps and threw them in the truck this morning. I’m about to climb out of this tree and set them before I head to the house.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,865 Posts
Caught a little sow coon in my "feeder companion" box trap last night....she succumbed to a .177 cal pellet to the brain. Hated to do that but one that size is excellent table fare. Normally I drive them away from my farm at least 5 miles, but my truck is in the shop.

·
Premium Member
25,708 Posts
Caught a little sow coon in my "feeder companion" box trap last night....she succumbed to a .177 cal pellet to the brain. Hated to do that but one that size is excellent table fare. Normally I drive them away from my farm at least 5 miles, but my truck is in the shop.
I have a neighbor who live traps coons and hauled them away and released them. Turned out - he was releasing them on my other piece of property. I agree - kill them all.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,865 Posts
I have a neighbor who live traps coons and hauled them away and released them. Turned out - he was releasing them on my other piece of property. I agree - kill them all.
:rofl:You shoulda told him a good young coon is worth $5 skinned out and one foot left attached to prove it aint a cat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Question: What bait do you use to entice the raccoons into a dog proof hand hold trap if the ground is covered in corn?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Is use marshmallows in my DP traps and always cover the trap with an old coffee can or something to “keep them out” ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do nuisance wildlife control, through out the year if things get slow I'll throw out about 15 dps on our land My uncles and mine, 80 acres each, done this for several years, counted around 30 turkeys in a bunch last year, the most I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
12,405 Posts
You sell many coon carcasses? I have. Got pretty bad where I grew up and you couldn't sell one without a foot attached. The folks buying them got burned too many times.
Who thinks a skinned cat looks like a coon??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts