Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...What an awesome day to be in the woods with a youngster. I carried my 9yr old nephew today and had great hunt. It started with first thing this morning we got set up in between two gobblers and they lit the woods up. The first one came in and my nephew clicked the safety off and it made a big pop (this was my mistake not showing him how to ease it off) well the turkey spooked no shot was given, then the other one started our way, but hung up about 75 yards out, finally he eased off. I did my best to keep his confidence up and told him we will make things happen he would just have to be patient with me. Anyways after lunch we go back out and started calling in the blind. Nothing gobbled, but after about an hour he said I see one. Sure enough 3 jakes were heading our way, I told him once they flew across the creek they would be in range. The first one came in the open, but went bye to quick. He was ready for the second one BOOOOM. I saw that turkey flopping and a grin came upon. We slapped hands and he has been grinning every since (but not as big as his uncle). All he can talk about is he's ready to go back and kill one of the longbeards that got away. :thumb:

16 lbs..5 in. beard..1/4 in. spurs

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Wow...What an awesome day to be in the woods with a youngster. I carried my 9yr old nephew today and had great hunt. It started with first thing this morning we got set up in between two gobblers and they lit the woods up. The first one came in and my nephew clicked the safety off and it made a big pop (this was my mistake not showing him how to ease it off) well the turkey spooked no shot was given, then the other one started our way, but hung up about 75 yards out, finally he eased off. I did my best to keep his confidence up and told him we will make things happen he would just have to be patient with me. Anyways after lunch we go back out and started calling in the blind. Nothing gobbled, but after about an hour he said I see one. Sure enough 3 jakes were heading our way, I told him once they flew across the creek they would be in range. The first one came in the open, but went bye to quick. He was ready for the second one BOOOOM. I saw that turkey flopping and a grin came upon. We slapped hands and he has been grinning every since (but not as big as his uncle). All he can talk about is he's ready to go back and kill one of the longbeards that got away. :thumb:

16 lbs..5 in. beard..1/4 in. spurs
I got a grin on my face too....:biggrin: ...I wish Iris and I would've been as lucky, we saw a redbird though and he sang a sweet song to us! No hunting today ...I may get to take her out with me though next weekend:wink: Mom went yesterday afternoon and rediscovered the closeness and love that can be shared along on a hunt. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Congrats to you both. It is a blast to get to be a part of any turkey hunt but taking a child makes it so much better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts