Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing like a madman lately. I've had some great fishing but not so great catching. I have not been to the range in weeks and I think I will go this afternoon. All that rust that I knocked off is probably back just as bad.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back. I started out with my Rem 700 in 30.06. My load was a 202 gr (311299) wheel weight bullet. I like to call it the "Cruise Missile". I was pushing it with 17 gr of 2400 powder. At 100 yards it did well.

Gun Firearm Rifle Shooting sport Air gun
Pattern Line Design Diagram Pattern

I tried my luck at the 300 yard steel target but could never see the splash & don't know where it was hitting. At such low velocity it may have been hitting the dirt well before it got there. I really need a spotter to help me with the strike.

Next up was my Kimber 45 acp. I started out at 25 yards and tried to take my time and make the 50 shots count. Not great but not too bad either. 230 gr lrn made from wheel weight & scrap lead. WW231 powder at 5.2 gr.

Outerwear Grass Tree

I got to thinking and thought I would move the target all the way back to the berm for a 70 yard shot just to see how I would do.

Grass Tree Land lot Landscape Road
Wood

22 out of 25 hits. It looks like a shotgun pattern but I would not want to be on the receiving end. I think I'll walk over to the 100 yard rifle range next time and see what the Kimber will do at 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Administrator
88,032 Posts
I'd be surprised if I could see the target good enough at 70 yards to hit it with my old eyes. :biggrin:

I'm gonna hit the range on Friday. I usually go about every Friday but missed the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At 70 yards I was holding on the head. It dropped quite a bit. I am curious to know how much of a drop at 100. I'll see next time if I remember.

On a side note if anyone would like to shoot as a guest with me at the range let me know. I generally go during the week and usually have the place to myself. I never had a soul come in all afternoon other than one of the owners. Guest fee is $5. You can only come once a quarter unless you join but if you would like to come out for a day I got you covered.

I got lucky and picked up some 30.30 brass. I don't see that too often. I also picked up a bit of .38 special too. I only found about 4-5 45 acp and I am always on the look out for them. That is what I shoot about 99% of the time when I'm shooting a handgun.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went today to work on the 30.06 with the lead bullet. I set up a cardboard backstop at 200 yards. With a 100 yard zero my lead bullet was 2 feet low at 200 yards. At 300 it was about an additional 3 feet or around a 5 foot drop total. At 350 my scope was maxed out and I had to hold about mid point of the lower post to get a hit.

The bullets were going slow enough that there was a noticeable delay between the shot and the hit.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shot my first wheel weight deer two years ago with my 30.30 Winchester.

Deer Deer hunting Antelope White-tailed deer Wildlife

This past season I shot a doe with my 44 mag Winchester.

I haven't used my 30.06 with lead for hunting yet. There is just something about carrying those slab sided lever actions that just feel right when I'm loaded up with wheel weights. The older I get the more that scope would come in handy but for now I can still see the irons well enough to get the job done.

The 30.06 that I am shooting has been a "Just how far can I hit something with a lead bullet" kind of deal. I know I can up the 2400 powder a few more grains but the accuracy will deteriorate and defeat the purpose. I'm shooting 17 gr and that is 1/2 gr higher than my most accurate load of 16.5 gr. I am going to have to try some other powders to see if I can extend the range. If I could get on target with regularity at 600 yards I will have met my goal.

I have tried 4895 but I am not real crazy about using a dacron filler. Just have to keep on tinkering but that is one of the best parts.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.