Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my son a new .308 at Gander Mountain and it won't fire! Seems as though the firing pin is too short. Puts a little ding in the primer but will not ignite. Can't find the dang reciept. Any suggestions?:smack:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question but is the rifle scoped and does it have a hammer extension on it? The reason I ask is because I had a Rossi .243 that did the same thing. The extension was hitting the bottom of the scope and not allowing the firing pin to strike the primer properly.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,567 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question but is the rifle scoped and does it have a hammer extension on it? The reason I ask is because I had a Rossi .243 that did the same thing. The extension was hitting the bottom of the scope and not allowing the firing pin to strike the primer properly.
What kind of safety does it have? It could be as simple as a "short" firing pin....those guns are pretty simple to tear down....:confused:...I hope you are putting the right guage shell in it.....does it throw the shell out when you unbreech it? I would seriously caution you against any further attempts to fire the gun....it could by very dangerous...take it straight away to a gunsmith!!

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I think Possum nailed it. I had a friend that had that same problem. The hammer was hitting the scope and would not fire. Higher rings fixed it for him.

Dave.
I've got a Nikon Prostaff with a nice scar on the eyepiece. I had about 3 shells with little dents in the primers before I figured out the problem. I would check that out first.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've got a Nikon Prostaff with a nice scar on the eyepiece. I had about 3 shells with little dents in the primers before I figured out the problem. I would check that out first.
Same with my Burris FFII. You either have to use high rings or position it perfectly so the hammer doesn't make contact. I chose the latter route, but it puts the scope a little far forward for my taste.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Same with my Burris FFII. You either have to use high rings or position it perfectly so the hammer doesn't make contact. I chose the latter route, but it puts the scope a little far forward for my taste.
I choose the dremel tool option and took a little at a time off the top of the extension until it cleared the scope. I wanted to the scope set to my comfort zone and not the hammers. :thumb:

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does have a hammer extension on it. I'll check to see if there's a mark on the scope. Really don't want to use higher mounts, my son's head is not really big enough for them. I'm using a Nikon Prostaff scope as well. Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.