Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were looking to stock a tackle box...what are the top 4 or 5 lures are your Must Haves?

I have some basic things but really have bought randomly as I'm just not knowledgeable at all really. I enjoy catching fish...don't care what kind as I don't care to keep them and just fish for fun.

What are your go to or must haves? And what conditions do you use it? I mostly lake fish like Atkins or watershed lakes in Ouachita NF...occasionally Dardanelle.

Just looking for some good suggestions.

·
Member On Double Secret Probation
29,509 Posts
4" Cali craw or green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail yum dingers. with an 1/8th shakey head.

I fish alot of the water sheds lakes around the ONF and they'll wear it out..

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great suggestions guys. Definitely will help me spend my money in maybe a more targeted way. And yeah...hooks and worms are always in the boat...but I need more than that and these are all great items to try.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
What are you fishing for? If it’s for whatever bites then small husky jerks, beetle spins, roadrunners. A few bags of soft plastics for Texas rigging. Small spinnerbaits. Throw a small pop-r or Zara spook Jr for that topwater bite.

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...don't laugh...but this is the rod I have. The reel on mine is different as it is several years old and it is a spinning reel not a baitcast like this one. I know it's not fancy but It has been very reliable and has never bird nested on me or anything. I'm tempted to buy another rod/reel just to have 2...but again...I don't know what to get other than I want to spend less than $100 on it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pflueger-lady-trion-rod-and-reel-baitcast-combo

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
99.9% of the bass I catch are on a green senko. Either Texas rigged or wacky rigged. I have all the other baits but I always start with the worm and seldom switch to anything else

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Ok...don't laugh...but this is the rod I have. The reel on mine is different as it is several years old and it is a spinning reel not a baitcast like this one. I know it's not fancy but It has been very reliable and has never bird nested on me or anything. I'm tempted to buy another rod/reel just to have 2...but again...I don't know what to get other than I want to spend less than $100 on it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pflueger-lady-trion-rod-and-reel-baitcast-combo
Nothing wrong with a good spinning rod/reel combo for general-purpose fishing. What is the length/action of the one you have?

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Assuming you have 8lb test line, that should be a pretty good do all rig.
Beetle spins and 1/4 ounce spinner baits would be good.
A tiny torpedo, Zara puppy spook, tiny lucky 13 or even a small buzz bait would be good to have for some topwater fishing.
The little Rebel crawfish crank baits work well at times.
Some smaller soft plastics would also work well. My favorites are the Lake Fork creature and and baby creature.
I fish them a lot, both weightless and Texas rigged.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
If I had to fish for any fish to survive I would use a beetle spin or a plain jig head with a curly tail jig on a light spinning rod with 4-6 pound test line. This will catch anything that swims anywhere that I go. Since you like using a bait caster that light weight of a bait would be hard to use. With a bait caster I would use a jig, worm or vibrating jig at the very least.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Rapala Ultra Light Cranks
Red Eye Shad lipless cranks
Beetle Spins in 1/16 and 1/4
Slip floats with bobber stops
Number 1 and 2 Aberdeen hooks for minnows
Number 6 and 8 Cricket Hooks
1/4 Spinner baits
1/4 Ned Heads
Rattle Ned from Googan Baits
1/4 and 3/8 Texas Rig weights
3/0 or 4/0 Worm hooks
Senkos
Couple packs of 2 to 2.5" crappie swim baits, will work for bass and crappie

Should get you started in catching.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
A couple years ago, I got tired of lugging around my big ol' tackle bag with all kinds of gear I never used. Most of the fishing I do these days is really simple kid stuff. If we're headed to the lake, I have a small box I can grab now. We do a lot of boat dock fishing, so I have to have Arkie Shinee Hinees and some jigging spoons. 1/8oz jigs and some grubs or small swimbait bodies. Blade baits and spoons; kids can cast and reel em for a mile. Some plastic worms and craws and shaky head jigs and texas rigs. Flukes. Inline spinners. A few random topwaters.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts