Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got drawn for a permit and need to know a lot more about it i know every doe is a bonus deer and I have to take a buck with four or more points on one side but how is the hunting there ?

Anyone ever hunted before and if so what was your experiance about it ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got drawn for Rick Evans too. I have never hunted it but i've seen some great bucks come out of there. By looking at the game&Fish map online it looks like a lot of funnels and open fields. I plan on going out and scouting some before the hunt starts. Maybe we could check it out together. Just PM me if you want to check it out sometime. If not I'll let you know how it looks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I started scouting the place the year the AGFC gained controll of the property. The hardest part will be getting your doe. Don't misunderstand that statement. It will be a tough hunt. If you are fortunate enough to tag a doe then its time to be patient and look for that special buck. Several really big deer have come from the property.

This place looks like parts of Kansas, but don't let that fool you the bucks will go places you won't expect them to be. Most guys don't stick with it or have what it takes to make this hunt sucessfull, judging by the results from the past few seasons harvests. The chance of a true giant is there but it will drain you to get it done.

Not trying to discourage you in any way, I would love it if you both went down there and had the hunt of a lifetime. I don't put in for the tag anymore because having kids and a wife don't go with the amount of time I would have to devote to this pursuit. I have three friends that put in for it and they all have worn there bodies and patients out trying to be successfull. But the bucks they killed were outstanding, so you will get out what you put in.

I can say this for sure no other public land in Ar has the ratio of older age class bucks. I know of several that would make any hunter any where, Kansas, Iowa and Canada included, shake in there boots.

Good luck keep us posted on how it goes.

Boom

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regulation book says nothing about a doe before the buck this year I know it has in the past but it says...

Rick Evans Grandview
Prairie WMA
AGFC (877) 777-5580 • 4,895 acres • Hempstead county,
WMA zone 551
CLOSED: deer muzzleloader, deer modern gun,
bear archery, bear muzzleloader, bear modern
gun, fall turkey archery, fall turkey firearms,
alligator, elk, quail and spring squirrel.
Deer Archery (permit hunt): Oct. 25-Dec. 7.
Deer Notes: no dogs allowed. Seasonal bag limit of
three deer; no more than one legal buck. No more
than one legal buck and two does may be taken by
permit with archery tackle only. Doe harvested on
this area are bonus deer and do not count against the
statewide seasonal bag limit.
Rabbit: Sept. 1-Feb. 28. Tuesdays, Thursdays and
Saturdays only. Daily limit - 8, possession limit - 16.
Dogs allowed.
Fall Squirrel: Sept. 6-Feb. 28. Tuesdays, Thursdays
and Saturdays only. Dogs allowed. Daily limit - 8,
possession limit - 16.
Crow: Sept. 6-Feb. 23, Thursdays and Saturdays
only. No limit.
Area Notes: Check antler restrictions on Page 42

Then ....

Four-point rule: Lafayette County, Rick Evans
Grandview Prairie and St. Francis National Forest
WMAs require bucks to have both antlers shorter
than two inches or have four or more points on one
side of his rack before being taken. Button bucks
may be taken.

Nothing about a doe before a buck:head::head:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.