Need Stumps Gone

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by atuphilamb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. atuphilamb

atuphilamb Well-Known Member

Anyone grind stumps for a living or know someone. I'll even settle for any ideal on another removal method. Just trying to get rid of the dang things. The tornados in May kinda left me with a few hundred but i only need a few removed.

2. ruger08

ruger08 Well-Known Member

How many you want removed and whats the average size?

3. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

If you can't find a grinder, a backhoe will do it. We're still cleaning up from the tornado from 5/2/08. :up:

4. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

Why not just rent a stump grinder from riggs and grind them yourself?

5. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

That's what I was going to suggest....just rent one. There is a guy in Conway that does it, but that may be farther than he would want to travel and if he does no telling what he would charge. His last name is Lasker.

6. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

I rented one from Home Depot back in the spring. I had 7 stumps that were from 18 to 36 inches in diameter. Took about 5 hours to do it. They were pine stumps that had been cut less than a year.

7. atuphilamb

The ones i really would like gone are rather large probly from 42 inches and some a little smaller. They are also about 24 inches tall still. The problem with renting is that 5 hours. Just thought someone local might could give me an estimate. Dug up would be best but don't have access to a backhoe and then you need dirt to fill the huge hole. Just kinda of a perdicament.

8. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

We had some ground, probably over 100 of them. Guy charges around 75 an hour. They were small to a few good size. Took them about 6 hours. Ours were low to the ground though. Just to give you an idea .... Might be worth your while, if you have access to a saw, to go ahead and cut them low. Just take longer to grind them and most charge by the hour.

9. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

if they are good and dry, i will build a fire on em and once they get hot, roots and all will burn out

10. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Try Power Products Equipment Rental on Pratt Road (just west of Ironton). They may rent grinders. I know they rent tractors and stuff like that so you may could go that route if they don't have the grinders. They are nice guys and close to you. They also have trailers for rent if you need that too. My parents were hit on when that tornado came through too. Ya'll must be in the same area. :) :up:

Power Products Equipment Rental
    1204 Pratt Road
    (501) 888-1102 ‎

11. atuphilamb

I will check them out. I haven't cut them down lower basically because my saw is a little inadequate. We must be I live off of East Fairview. Drive down the road you can probly determine where. Basically the place that has no trees left and looks like a bomb exploded.

12. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I don't know if you know the Prices out there or not but they have a construction company with backhoes and such. They are out there on Springlake were East End road runs into Springlake. Johnny is the sons name he might be able to help you out.

13. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you are where it started. My parents are up off Bracy Rd (right on the Landmark/East End line kind of).

14. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

I had some dug out with a backhoe when I put this house in last year. It is very time consuming and can get really expensive. Not to mention it will rip the ground up all around a stump that large trying to break the roots off.

A grinder would be a much better choice in my opinion.

15. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

16. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

What kinda truck u got?

17. live2hunt

live2hunt Well-Known Member

Whats the best way to burn them? I have some pine that was cut about a month ago. I have heard of people sitting a gallon of diesel on top with a little hole in the bottom and letting it soak in then burning it.....Anybody done this?

18. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

I drilled 1 inch holes in mine and poured my used oil on it for a while then soaked it up with diesel. Sucker still would not burn. :smack: But, I was probably trying too soon. It takes them suckers a while to dry out. I just put my fire ring around that one. One of these days it will be gone.:biggrin:

19. atuphilamb

Got a dodge 4X4 but its old. Why do you ask. If you think they can be pulled up I got $100 says ain't nobody on this site got one big enough.

I heard that you can build a metal cube with no bottom and fill it full of charcoal and set it on the stump and light er up and it will burn it out. I don't have a cube though or the metal to build it out of.

20. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

How big around r they I got some 42" pipe u could put around it and burn it out or rent a stump grinder . Mine is big enough but won't hook it up just bought a new transmission for 8k pushin 600hp cummins diesel 12 valve !!!!