Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got an opinion question but first a little history of how I got to where I'm at on this. Some of ya'll will remember back in December I purchased a Rossi .243/50 cal. ML combo. Well that turned out to be a disaster, or at least beyond a 100 yards it did. It no longer resides here but now I've got a chance to get either another 243 or a 270. The main use for the rifle would be for me to coyote hunt with but it would also possibly serve a secondary purpose as my son's deer rifle. I know the 243 is plenty of rifle for deer with proper shot placement but I think the 270 might be a bit better, opinions please. One thing I would like to ask though is please keep it to these 2 calibers.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
The 243 is a good round, but personally I've never been a fan of it...had one in a Savage Striker, which was re-born (re-barrelled) to 308, and is a good shooter......the only problem was the barrel length.....but rifles are a different story...ok back on track......if it was me, I'd let the boy shoot a 270 (if he is old enough:biggrin: ) and if he can handle the recoil, which is not much over the 243...Personally, I'd say the 270:thumb:

Gunners Mate had a 243...the one's the :censored: thieves got...and I replaced it with an 06...and she LOVES it!!!!!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,799 Posts
OK, I've got an opinion question but first a little history of how I got to where I'm at on this. Some of ya'll will remember back in December I purchased a Rossi .243/50 cal. ML combo. Well that turned out to be a disaster, or at least beyond a 100 yards it did. It no longer resides here but now I've got a chance to get either another 243 or a 270. The main use for the rifle would be for me to coyote hunt with but it would also possibly serve a secondary purpose as my son's deer rifle. I know the 243 is plenty of rifle for deer with proper shot placement but I think the 270 might be a bit better, opinions please. One thing I would like to ask though is please keep it to these 2 calibers.
Possum....it just depends on the weight of the bullet!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a Savage .270 and love it. I have never lost a deer. That being said, my son, who will be 10 next month, wants a .243 for his birthday, so there will probable be one here, and I will let you know in a month or so, after I get to shoot it :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd let the boy shoot a 270 (if he is old enough:biggrin: )
That's not a problem he's....21. :biggrin:

OK, I let it out now. I went this evening to get a .243. I looked at the demo, shoulder it several times and liked the way it felt so he goes and gets one in the box the box said 243 but myself or the deal ever thought to look on the barrel itself. Get it to the house pull the bolt out and go to run wool swab through it of course one made for a 243 and the barrel swallows it. Have you figured out where this is going yet? Yep, it's a 270. Called the guy and he's says they're the same price keep it or bring it back whatever you want to do. I just can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Should have got an NEF Possum. :smack: As for the caliber. Last summer my dad and I were shooting my 243 at 300 yards. I pulled on one of the shots and it hit the target frame that I built. It hit the 2" round 1" thick a magnet that was holding the paper on and completely disentigrated it, then put a 1/2" hole through two layer's of 1/8" steel angle iron. When it hit it pulled the target out of the ground and threw it back about 10-15 feet and twisted the target so bad that I couldn't use it anymore. It did all this damage at 300 yards. How much resistance would a deer's shoulder pose for a bullet that can do that?

Guys will talk about bullet placement, but how many times have you heard of guys loosing a deer shot by a 7mag, or 300 whatever. It's all about shot placement whatever you shoot.

If you ever want to elk hunt I would get the 270.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As my post above indicates I've got the .270, and think I'm keppin it but that's not to say there's not a .243 in my future as well. :thumb:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,799 Posts
As my post above indicates I've got the .270, and think I'm keppin it but that's not to say there's not a .243 in my future as well. :thumb:
Oh well...you'll see when ya shoot one....the 270 wastes a lot of meat with the lighter bullets....:razz: also makes it a mess to clean. Knock down power is what Johnf is talkin about right there....you could hit a goat in the upper leg at 300 yards and kill it drt!:thumb:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John, I deer hunt with a 30.06, Winchester Model 70, 150gr BT or reloads I got the knockdown power figured out, I think. :wink:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Possum, i am kindly new to posting here so just bare with me. I have 243 and 270 both and they are both fine calibers. If it were me and just wanted to shoot coyotes i would lean toward the 243, but if i thought i might shoot deer to i would lean toward the 270. They are booth sufficient to deer hunt
with but the extra energy of the 270 could be useful[the 270 with 130 grain
barnes xfb @ 200 yds 2588 fps 2082 ft-lbs energy
the 243 with 85 grain barnes xbt @ 200 yds 2528 fps 1207 ft-lbs energy]
thats the energy dif. over a 800 ft-lbs
velocity will be close at all yardage
you can control the damage of a 270 with bullet choice.
I would not let the larger size of the 270 discourage me after all i hunt with a
340 weatherby mag with 225 grain bullet and makes a short job out of tracking "never had one go more than 2 feet thats strait down".
map:thumb:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
map, welcome to the board. I don't guess you have to be a long time member of the board to give an opinion especially when I ask. :thumb: Recoil is not real big factor with me. Are ya'll familiar with what's on the back-end of a Remington 7600 in 30.06, well if your not it's just a hard piece of plastic and I've run round after round through it without a problem. This one has a full 3/4" of soft rubber on it for a recoil pad. I've only run across one firearm I've refused to shoot and that would be my cousins turkey gun a 3 1/2" 10 gauge with a XXX choke. I watched him shoot it and the recoil bruised is shoulder blade.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Possum I dont think the recoil factor would be a problem on the 270 it will
be comparable to the 30-06, the scopes on the market today have a better
eye relief than they used to that helps on eye hicky's and no one i know
like's a good ole eyehickey:biggrin:
map

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no one i know like's a good ole eyehickey
Nope, been there done that. :smack:

I can't imagine this thing having the recoil of my 7600 or the Model 70 both are 30.06's.

Oh, I just had a brain storm. I think what I'll do is keep it and in a couple of months get the .243 because I kinda had intentions of buying my son a .270 to deer hunt with so I may give him this one....after I get it broke in on a yote or two, of course :biggrin: . If I really decide I like this one I'll keep it, get the .243 like I said in a couple months and then closer to his birthday get him one. Can you imagine the happiness I'll be spreading around, the wife being the one possible exception. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts