Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellas I need some help, my daughter is 8 yrs. old and she thinks she is ready to shoot a deer. I need to buy her a rifle, I was thinking 22/250, the fella at macks says maybe a 22 Hornet but that is not a very big bullet. I don't know if it is big enough. The problem is I need a gun with almost zero recoil bc I don't want to ruin her right from the start but, it needs to be big enough to cleanly kill a deer. It needs to be a youth model so maybe she can hold it up on the rest by herself. She is very sensitive to noise and I know a 22/250 is loud but, what gun isn't if you know what I mean. Well fellas let's hear it, what do ya think? :head:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
22/250 would be good, but margin of error is pretty high should she not hit the deer right, could make for a bad deal. I would try a .243 or maybe a 25-06. Also be more practical for the future. Just my two cents if i was looking for something for my daughter

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
If you are going to use 22 caliber, the 223 will have less recoil than the 22/250 and considerably more punch than the 22 Hornet. You will be able to use heavier bullets in the 223 vs the Hornet. You can pick up a H&R single shot for ~$200.

·
Registered
703 Posts
you can get a youth model 30-30. If you ahve a muzzle break put on it there would be very little recoil. BUT the noise would be BAD!! I would look at a .223 or .243. I think the .243 would be the way to go.

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
Another question, would it be legal for me to put a laser on the gun instead of a scope. I have a friend with one set up this way and it works great.
Legal, yep. Practical, probably not. A red dot would be more practical (and cheaper) than a laser. In bright daylight, lasers are hard, if not impossible, to see.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My partner ordered one on the net last year, it is a green laser. I used it one day, it was 3:00 p.m. clear skys, sun shining and I could see it 100 yrds across a food plot on a tree.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
The 243 is no doubt a better deer caliber, but if you are getting a youth gun that is small enough for an 8 year old girl to carry it's so light that the felt recoil is pretty darn hard. (for a kid) My dad has an nef ultra light 243 and it kicks harder than my 25-06. I don't think I would want that to be my little girls first shooting experience.

According to winchester.com a 223 55gr. soft point has almost 1300lbs of energy at the muzzle and almost 1000 at 100 yards. If you keep the shots within 50 yards and hit the vitals the 223 will work for you.

:twocents:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
If you end up with a bigger caliber than you think they can take recoil-wise, you can always add weight to the rifle. That is, if they're shooting from a rest in a stand, and they don't have to carry the thing. Remove recoil pad, drill large diameter hole a few inches deep, insert lead shot, replace recoil pad. When they get older, use the shot to load some shells.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.