Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to build a privacy fence with the all ready assembled panels from lows. I've already set my 4x4's in concrete in the ground. Here's my problem. I measured wrong and now my panels are all lining up about 2" long, so instead of each one meeting in the middle of a 4x4, they are hanging over 2".... My only thoughts to "fix" the problem was to screw 2x4's against the 4x4's until I get the desires width.... Is this possible? Or does anyone else have any ideas that don't require new 4x4's, because they are already in concrete..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That sucks. If you haven't already bought all the panels I would just frame it myself. You've already got the "hard" part done with digging and setting the post. A good nail gun and a day and you can have it finished. :thumb:

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. If you haven't already bought all the panels I would just frame it myself. You've already got the "hard" part done with digging and setting the post. A good nail gun and a day and you can have it finished. :thumb:
That's the other problem... I do have all the panels lol.... And my wife lost the receipt otherwise id definitely just do what you're talking about... Should've done that to begin with....

·
Premium Member
18,528 Posts
Man, I am sorry about the layout issues. In my mind, you really have two options to consider: add material to your posts to make them "wider" where you will attach your horizontal 2x4s (in your panels). OR..... You can lay your panels on a couple of sawhorses and cut them down to fit the openings between the posts. You can lay it out to cut an equal amount off from each side. The easiest way would be to just cut off one end, but it won't look as nice. Lay them down, measure at the top and the bottom, pop a chalk line on those marks, then just rip the picket on the chalk line. Whether you split the difference or lop off one end will depend on how you want it to look in the end. Don't get too caught up in looks though it is a fence. I would just cut the panels off on one end and screw them to the posts. You will have a narrow picket, but you can still put a dogear on it. I hope that all makes some kind of sense. Go for it!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you were going to buy new 2x4 to thicken the 4x4 anyway, you could run the 2x4 from post to post (like you were stick building it) and then attach the panels to the 2x4.

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank y'all for the advise... Now that I've got some input I can see what is going to be my best option... When I start on the other side of my house I'll know better.. Live and learn I guess. I'll post a few pictures when I get finished... Whenever the icepocolypse ends!

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
If you bought it with your lowes card they will have it on record. If you didn't the cashier should have asked for your phone number and it will be on record with that. Either way you should be able to take them back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts