Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a lovely beagle named Mollie. She's managed to worm her way into the family in less than a month. However she has a habit that may be her undoing in my household. She chases my chickens.

I need help breaking this horrible habit. I was told to put her on a leash, take her into the hen yard, and yank the leash each and every time she lunged for a chicken. Tried that, no good.

I was then told to do the same except for the punishment. I was told to grab her by the nape of the neck and make her submit. Nope. Didn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to lose a chicken to do the old timey method of using the chicken as a stick. I want to avoid that outcome.

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
All I can say is good luck. I've got my wife's dog to where she won't even think about getting a chicken as long as I'm outside and she knows I'm around. One the other hand when I'm not around and she is let outside she just can't help herself. The other day I came home and heard a big racket out back, chickens squawkin, dogs barkin, donkey brayin, you name it. I ran around back and couldn't find the dog anywhere. I decided maybe she was in the house and hadn't bothered the chickens. I finally found her on the front porch acting like she hadn't even been out back. The only problem was she didn't realize that she had chicken feathers all over her face and lips. (dead giveaway):banghead:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jam,

This is not what I wanted to hear. She won't even look at the chickens if I'm around, but as soon as my back is turned, the race is on.

I would really like to keep this dog because my boys love her. But if she keeps this up, she's outta the house. I like the eggs from my hens more than I like purchasing Frontline for her.

Amy

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Amy find a shock collar (the real thing) and a dummy collar so the dog will not learn which one can shock. When the chicken chasing starts hit the shock button lightly at first and more intense until you really get the dogs attention.
Another alternative is a good dog pen or a good chicken pen. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a good chicken pen, but I like to let the hens out in the evening to scratch around. I don't want to keep Mollie put up during that time either.

She's smart enough to know when she's being watched.

I guess I'll invest in a shock collar for her. I didn't want to resort to that, but I guess that's my only alternative.

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
165 Posts
The shock collar will work. I have one for my retriever but I also have 2 beagles that are very smart and strong willed.Just start with a soft shock and build up until the chicken chasing stops. It usually takes my goofy dogs several days of reminding but they eventually figure it out if they do it there will be a price to pay. When you nick (shock) her, do it when she does not know you are around and she will think the chickens are shocking her and they won't be as much fun to chase when they start fighting back. A week of regular training should cure your problem.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey Jam did you read that!! I am not sure that a shock collar is going to go over well at your house, though. I might just have to mention to somebody around here to see if I can get a rise out of her. If I don't thread you with a result, you will know that it did not go well on this end. Wish me luck.
One more thing, will you ask Caleb how he got his girlfriend to go huntiong with him. I just can't get Melanie interested in going with me. He sure is lucky.
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.