Need help with 1st Crossbow.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Eb1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Eb1

Eb1 Well-Known Member

I am going to buy a crossbow for hunting whitetail deer in south AR. What is a decent crossbow that you could recommend to me. I do not want the Cadillac of crossbows.

I am a total newb to bow hunting. I do need to put meat in the freezer. I am not a trophy hunter, and this is why I am going to buy a crossbow. Because the season is longer.

I am needing clean kills. I shoot a rifle really good, hence why I am wanting a crossbow.

I would like a red dot scope, and a good accurate, affordable crossbow.

Thanks everyone in advance.

2. ishootducks

ishootducks Well-Known Member

I know your lookin for a crossbow but if your health permits i would really encourage you to at least try out a compound before you go to a crossbow. They are a blast to shoot all year long even when your not hunting. If you still decide to get a crossbow you can never go wrong with a Horton. They have been building them for forever and make a quality bow with a price range from cheap to expensive but they are great bows.

3. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator

Ditto on the Horton:thumb:

4. Eb1

Eb1 Well-Known Member

Why are you saying go with a compound bow? I am sure they are fun, but I just want to stock the freezer. I shoot guns for fun and food.

::::EDIT:::::
    I will try to shoot one, but the last time I tried it was a pain in the behind. Was hard to draw, and keep drawn. Of course this was 20 years ago. Maybe the tech of bows has come a long way.

5. ishootducks

ishootducks Well-Known Member

Bows have come so far in 20 years its not even funny. Shooting a compound is one of the most enjoyable things i have ever done. If your just wanting meat and not wanting to practice then ya go ahead and get a crossbow, but if you want something challenging and fun give a compound a shot but you need a good teacher. If your anywhere around Searcy go by Ultimate Outdoors and ask to talk to John Key hes the owner he can get you fixed up with a compound or a crossbow whichever you decide you want and he will spend as much time with you trying to help ya as you need.

6. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

I have NO complaints with my HORTON !!!!!!!!........EXCEPT, I haven't gotten a shot yet!!!!!

Got the 150# package from Bass pro, for about $400, including the shipping, came with the 3 dot red dot, and 3 arrows..enough to get started.........

7. Eb1

Eb1 Well-Known Member

i have in-laws in Searcy.

Can I shoot one there? I would like to shoot would like to shoot a bow before I spend my $ on one. Meaning if I was to go to a Compound bow then I would like to see if I could do it. I seriously doubt I am strong enough.

8. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

make sure you shop and compare prices before just dropping in to ultimate outdoors and letting Mr. Key set you up with a bow. Sometimes the price is right over there and sometimes not. My father got a horton crossbow after his bypass surgery and I use it sometimes when hunting from the ground. YOU STILL HAVE TO PRACTICE!

9. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

Horton :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I have 2 Hortons the Dakota SL and the Yukon SL I would'nt own anything but a Horton... Great scope mount with a Dial a range ..I have a Simmons Crossbow scope on Mine ..Works like a charm ...I've taken several Deer with mine ,The wife Loves Her too :biggrin:

10. Eb1

Eb1 Well-Known Member

Definitely will practice with what i get. I am just ramping up for the 2008/2009 season.

I got the bug really bad this year. 1st time hunting in 17 years. Built an AR15 and took it hunting. Killed a deer 1 shot dead at 40 yards. Like I said in another post. Wife got me a 30-30 for Christmas to replace one that got stolen when I was younger. Great woman.

Well with the bug, and only having certain weekends that I could hunt. I want to make the season long for myself. Hence a bow. Thought a crossbow would be a good thing due to the ease of use and aiming.

I am all for sport, and will try a compound per the recommendations, but if that doesn't fly. I will get a crossbow.

Horton seems to have some good deals. What is the going price on a started compound. I am figuring $250 for a compound. Is that correct?

11. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

Try a compound out first. The feeling after the kill is much more rewarding than with a crossbow. My friend has a Horton Yukon and it is a good crossbow....., but its a crossbow. If you want to bow hunt get a compound. You can harvest a deer just as easy. Well maybe not and thats the whole point. Good luck and choose wisely!

12. Gary R

Gary R Well-Known Member

I have a Barnett Wildcat III, and my father has a Barnett Quad 300 (since upgraded to the Quad 400). I hit a doe at 15 ft with a Tecan and it was solid. My eldest took his first deer with my father's at 40 yards. My youngest missed with mine. I have missed several turkeys (bad judge of distance). My advice............ go with Horton. Red dot scope package. Take off quiver. Buy or make cocking rope (gotta get it straight, I have recocked with my bare hands and got it crooked). Find your range. Mechanicals only worked on mine. Vanes had to be perfect, as did the shafts. Broadheads were the key. Wouldn't shoot fixed broadheads. Not everyone carries Barnett, but tech support is good. Go with Horton or other.

13. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Well-Known Member

Much More Rewarding Because I killed it with a Compound bow ... I dont think so...

I'm as Tickled as Cowdung when I kill a nice buck weather it be by Gun or Crossbow....

I hope you dont think you cant just pick up a crossbow and be very accurate with it anymore than a rifle or compound bow.... they all take practice...

.. I'm so small its very difficult(actually unsafe off the ground) to pull a compound set to min Legal draw wieght ..
    5'7 110#.......

14. Eb1

Eb1 Well-Known Member

Well... I went today to Gander Mnt.. Located in Sherwood, AR/N. Little Rock.

They have an archery range. I told the guy that I have never shot a bow (which is partially true). I wanted to get fitted and price one.

He looked around, and did some things, and then he grabbed one of the shelf. A Parker Legend XP (kit?). It had the sites (not the best I am sure), arrow holder(don't know the proper name), and some other things on it.

We went into the range, and shot at 20 yards. I hit the 8 ring every time after the first shot. The first shot I was shaking a lot. He gave me some pointers, and I listened. And with those 20 minutes of pointers, I was shooting an arrow into the rings. I have to admit. I am hooked. I am selling my Springfield XD9 Service model to buy the bow. The gun is in mint condition with all accessories if interested. :wink:

So I took the recommendation to shoot a compound bow, and now I think (sure) that I want one. I know that there will be a lot of training, and that bow hunting is more involved (as much as you want it to be) to gun hunting. I am not going to justify that sentence. I can't.

I wish I could go back and shoot it again. I think I will before I drop 600 dollars and have to sell a gun to get it. I owe it to myself too.

I do know that I am out of shape. My arm is killing me from the 50 - 55 pound pull that the bow was set. I actually had to quit shooting because I could not pull the bow back anymore.

15. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

I've got a compound my parents got for me for Christmas in high school. It's a good bow, but I never really got that into hunting with it. I spent a lot of time in my treestands with it, but just never really got the bug. My FIL got me an old crossbow for Christmas, and I love it! I like it a lot better than hunting with a compound. I stuck a new red dot 1x30mm scope (with 3 dots for 20, 30 and 40 yards) on it last week and it'll really put 'em in there. I was good with my compound too, but something about the crossbow just clicked with me. Your experiences may vary, but I'm now a crossbow hunter :thumb:

16. troutman

troutman Well-Known Member

I have had a Horton for years and love it. The Red Dot works well for me, but you must buy good broadheads for it to perform. I do not recommend Allen from Walmart. I prefer Muzzy. Good Hunting.

17. New here to this forum, but I have been bow/crossbow hunting for many years. First and foremost a bow is a bow, be it crossbow or compound. Each is different and yet the same. each has advantages and disadvantages. I don't get caught up in all the hoopla over one being better than the other. Horton is a very good choice, should you decide on a crossbow. With a crossbow that shoots fast, not as much practice is required like with a regular bow, because so long as you cock it exactly the same every time it should shoot a pretty tight group. I prefer my Matthews compound personally, it adds a challenge with drawing the bow at the time of shot without being busted. You might call this a disadvantage also. The compound bow will shoot further than a crossbow with enough energy to kill, so this is another difference in the two. When in practice I can hit a 3D deer target in the vital area at 60 yards consistantly, but my max hunting distance that I will shoot at a deer is 30 yards. A lot can happen between here and there on a deer size animal. Also if you are new to bow hunting in general, it will benefit your success greatly if you are disciplined and shoot high percentage shots. I personally only shoot broadside and quartering away shots. These give me the quickest kill and the best blood trail to help me claim my back straps. One last word, it takes a little more woodsman skills and stealth to be a bow hunter, so welcome to the rewarding world of bow hunting, regardless of your choice of weapon.

18. Huntingfool

Huntingfool Well-Known Member

Well said.

19. Quack addict

Quack addict Well-Known Member

FIRST!!!!! GO TO EBAY!!!

The Horton Package's are considerably cheaper than even Wally world!

Majority are NIB, I just purchased a Horton Hawk SL last Thursday, MAN

what a Bow!!

It sound's like you and I have had some of the same experience's with compound's, I too, tried shooting one about 20yrs ago and it was a mess!
    However, they have come a LONG way since then.

Here's my plan of action, first, harvest one with a CB and then move back into the Compound. Just get back in the swing of thing's.

20. 25/06

25/06 Well-Known Member

I started bowhunting with a crossbow then changed to a compound. I still have a Horton crossbow that I shoot some but I dont carry it hunting much. Horton is a good bow, but if I was going to buy a new crossbow today I would probably look at a Excalibur.