Need help buying a four wheeler.

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by 7 point, Dec 29, 2010.

Buying a new four wheeler

Poll closed Jan 28, 2011.
  1. Honda

56 vote(s)
    74.7%
  2. Polaris

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Artic Cat

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Suzuki

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I have not needed a four wheeler for the past 12 years or so. I did own a Honda Foreman 450 a few years back that I bought used and put a lot of money into. So I'm not looking into going that route again. I'm gonna make a poll of my four choices and if you feel so inclined let me know your thoughts on those four or maybe others that I do not include.

2. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Don't know much about the others, but Yamaha Grizzly is an awesome maching, check them out as well.

Carl

3. Your limiting your options. Yamaha isn't in there.......
    Best CVT IMO.
    Honda is super reliable and well worth the dollar....they just last a long time with a little maintenance.
    If I was buying a ATV I would look at Honda or Yamaha.
    I am super impressed with the CVT in the RHINO.

4. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

Soark I don't know what a CVT is. and I really don't know anything about the Yamahas.

5. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

I would look into Honda's, but kawasakis aint bad, can-am's are good but really expensive

6. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I say Honda cause they are easy to get parts for (at lease for me) plus they are reliable.

7. Constant Velocity Transmission. .....All automatics are CVT's except Honda's.
    They will run a little different then your Honda.
    I have a Honda Foreman 450 and love the machine. It's been with me since 1999. And has been a great machine.It rides rough but it's a workhorse.
    The Independent suspension of most machines today are wonderful riding machines and almost all have CVT transmissions....meaning belt drive....nothing to really worry about. A little more maintenance down the road but worth it if your going to ride a lot.
    Yamaha makes a good machine.....:up:

8. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a Honda:up: I've had my Foreman 450 since 2004 and not one lick of problems out of it, I think it has 2300 miles on it now.

9. hard to beat a yamaha or honda. i bought a big bear in august and love it

10. arcountryboy

arcountryboy Well-Known Member

11. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Yamaha... no question! The dealership there in Benton has great service.

12. Hip

Hip Well-Known Member

ive had my 600 grizzly since 01 and my dad got his 350 big bear in 99. the only prob ive had was dirty gas made my float stick open and flooded the engine. my fault for not keeping up with the maint

13. tracytqrc

tracytqrc Well-Known Member

The problem that I've found with POLARIS is that if are running in deep water the belt will lose friction and you will be sitting or running slow until it dries out.
    A friend of mine bought a ARTIC CAT 500 and that the suspension on that thing is rough. I've also seen him get stuck way to many times.

14. J.....I agree about Yamaha but not the dealership in Benton's service department. A lady that I hunt on her 600 acres had her kawasaki Mule CV joint boot replaced by them. Not to long after getting it home the front Differential went out.
    I looked at it at first for her and could see the CV seal was missing from the Diff....the dealer wouldn't stand behind their screw up!
    That was crappy! I rebuilt the front Diff for her but I don't do business with them after that......

15. Greyhound

Greyhound Well-Known Member

For reliability....Honda. For all out power and ride comfort that's reasonably priced...Kawasaki. I've had my Kawasaki Prairie 650 since 2002 and have been happy with it since the day I purchased it.

16. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

honda, i didnt know they made anything else:shrug:

17. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750, bought it in 06, great machine. My wife and son have Yamaha's, she has an 06 Kodiak 450 and his is a 07 big bear 400. All are fine machines. We ride ours all summer long and use them for hunting in the fall and winter. Dont think you would go wrong with either brand

18. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

Yamaha......... I have had this last one for ten years and its still going strong, FIL had his the same time frame and same story. Dad still has an 84 Moto-4 and it still runs like a Timex! And he still has the original 660 Grizzly that has been to hell-and-gone and still fires up and runs like a champ! I rode it at the camp all season while Dad used his Ranger.

Honda is the same way really, my neighbor's is over twenty years old and Big Boy has three that he runs the devil out of.

19. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

i'm a polaris guy personally. honda makes great wheelers but imo nothing touches a polaris in the 4x4 market except maybe a brute force and can-am. go to your local atv dealers and drive them all and see what you like.

take a look at the suspension and underneath all of them and you'll see why i like polaris. they just seem to be built better to me.

20. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

U had a Honda Forman I doubt u will like a belt drive. The belt drive wheelers are a pain. Gotta rev them up to get moving and u can't up shift a gear or so and just put around. When u put around on a belt u burn up the belt. The upkeep is much higher. I would recomend a shaft drive manual or even electric type shift. On our rice farm Honda has held up better than any other model we have tried. And we have ran yammaha kawi's Polaris Honda.