Need Advice, maybe new to reloading

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by MissUL8R, Dec 31, 2010.

1. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

Hello,
    My dad and I are looking into reloading rifloe and pistol ammo, but we are kinda lost on where to start. i have ordered the lee manual as i figured that would be a good place to start. the cost is not hat big of a deal but under 200.00$ would be nice not counting the dies of coarse. Speaking of dies does it matter what dies we get or do we need a certian type based on which ever press we get. we are looking at a lee turret press deluxe kit. any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

There is alot of info on here that you may be able to find with a quick search. Start with LOTS of research... reading material. And above all else, go slooooooow.

3. monsterman

monsterman Well-Known Member

Go green,,RCBS rock chucker master kit,,,I know lee dies will fit into the rcbs press,,,if you want to drool like me type in Dillon and check out some of there stuff

4. monsterman

monsterman Well-Known Member

just noticed you only live about 15 min from me,,pm me and you can come look at my my set up

5. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Standard 7/8x14 dies will fit most all commercial presses, including the Lee Turret press you are looking at.

You have started off right by getting a manual and hopefully reading it before you start this venture. There is quite a bit of info on this site and you can find all kinds of info on the net.

You'll get lost of opinions as to brands, everyone seems to have a favorite, just like in vehicles, guns and women. I turn out lots of ammo in one sitting so I'm partial to Dillon progressives, but also have other brands for when I need to just load a few rounds. The Dillon's will also put you out of your $200 range. As long as you stick with a major brand you should be loading ammo with few problems.

6. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

Thanks Everone Heading to the gun show to see what we can find tomorrow

Mike

7. Nocked

Nocked Well-Known Member

Reloading Books

Collect many reloading books, When you get started you will appreciate them. When I am looking at a new load I will have several books open and compare everyones data.
    I really like the older books most all of them have a how to section on both rifle and pistol. RCBS Speer, Hornaday, Lyman, Hodgdon, Nosler.

I have not bought a book in 10 years so I can't speek for the newer books, I like the little history section on each cartridge, Speer and Hornaday included with there recipes.

AS far as equipment RCBS Rock Chucker will last you a life time, as long as speed is not a issue.

I have RCBS, Lee and Lyman dies, I like the RCBS and Lyman best but I would buy Lee again.

One last thing I like about a library of reloading books. When I am thinking about a new to me caliber I start looking at my reloading books

Good luck You will need it when you new hobby turns into a passion. The last two shops I have built have been built around my reloading room:banghead:

8. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Nocked....I know what you mean. I look at two things. Reloading data then at Midway online. Price of dies, brass, bullets, and whether or not they're available most of the time.

Nothing worse than waiting months for special runs of brass or a bullet that are produced in limited quantities year by year. Shoot a .375 Win and you'll know what I mean.

I'm a big manual nut too. Have everything made by Speer from #6 - #14, Three Hornady, Two Nosler, One Sierra, and Two Barnes.

The upper right shelf of my bench has a good deal of literature. Complete with four books by Jack O'C, John Barsness' "Optics for the Hunter" and loading notes.

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    I know exactly what you mean. I shoot several that I couldn't afford if it weren't for reloading. 41 Mag, 480 Ruger and 300 WBY mag just to name a few. I load 41 Mag for less than $5 for 50 where they are $25 or more for 50 at the store. 480 Ruger is $30 for 20 rounds, I load them for just about a quarter each. I can load 100 300 WBY mags for ~ $45, factory WBY ammo is $82 per 20 rounds.

Here's my collection of Dillons... Dillon Super 1050 on the left, Dillon 550B in the middle and Dillon XL650 on the right. The single stage and turrets are to the left a little.

[​IMG]

10. arkyjim

arkyjim Well-Known Member

After seeing the set ups that you gentlemen have I think I am afraid to get into reloading.
    Don't know if I can afford a "hobby" like that.
    I do appreciate all the info though. I am also debating on whether to start reloading.
    I purchased a rifle from a member here and it came with dies, brass and bullets. Now I just need to work up the courage to start reloading.

11. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Reloading is just like any other hobby, you can have as little or as much in it as you want to spend.

The more you spend, the nicer things you can get, but millions of rounds have been loaded and shot using only a $25 Lee Loader. That's actually what I started with 30 something years ago, when I bought them it seems like they were less than $10 each. I loaded many a round of 38 Special, 357 Mag and 45 ACP on a Lee Loader. Slow, but it got the job done.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1293987411.1067=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

12. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

thanks again for the info and expecialy the pics. We went to the gun show but they did't have much as far as reloading. we will keep looking thought. the more i read on this the more i want to get started.

Thanks

Mike

13. Nocked

Nocked Well-Known Member

It's not about the price of you equipment collection. It is all about Crafting the best quality and accurate rounds that will ever pass through your gun. That 1/2 " group 100 yards down range with a sporter barrel YOU made happen. :up:

For alot less than a new gun you can get set up with some real nice equipment.

So dont let years of collecting reloading tools discurage you from getting started,

14. arkyjim

arkyjim Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the various starter kits online. The basic items don"t seem that bad. I guess I am just out of my comfort zone having never even seen anyone reload. I guess touching of that first round that I reload will be interesting. It may take a while to get started but I think I am going to give it a try.
    I see a lot of research in my future........

15. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

you may want to search reloading on you tube there is a lot of insturional videos on there

Mike

16. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Hornady cough cough. Classic kit cough cough lock and load bushings are awesome! Warranty is at the top also about the same a Dillon. Which you cant go wrong with or RCBS

17. MissUL8R

MissUL8R Active Member

thanks all the info is great