Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I thought I would give you some background on a new lease my family obtained this year with the hope I could get some good advice. My father, two brothers, and myself went through the process of leasing 237 acres this year in Calhoun Co. for our family to hunt through Plum Creek. This is in a QDMA and according to Plum Creek WL Biologists, has the potential of having nice deer on the lease. However, it appears that there are other so-called hunters :censored: that seem to think they own/lease the land. Once the check cleared back in late August (meaning we have legally obtained hunting rights to the section of land), these individuals have been hanging stands, building food plots, and bush hogging. My father and I attended a meeting with members of the AGFC and Plum Creek in Fordyce and we asked what was the best way to go about resolving the situation. Both PC and AGFC stated we put out signage. My father and I spent an entire Saturday hanging new signage. Yet to no avail, these individuals ignored the posted signs and continued to hang new stands and work on food plots.

In talking with the AGFC, the local WO states they can't really do anything about it unless the AGFC shows up when the trespassers are there. Here are the things we are doing/planning to do to remedy the situation:
1. Hang posted signs - already done
2. Print out a lease map along with a note asking these individuals to remove their stands ASAP, and place these on all current deer stands.

Can you guys think of anything else to try here? We are trying to be as nice as possible and definitely do not want to take any removable stands that do not belong to us. As I'm sure with a lot of hunters, we don't live where we hunt, so to catch these individuals could be very costly and time consuming. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
5,763 Posts
Catch them when they are there, get thier license plate number, call the WO or sheriff and have them kindly explain to them that this land is leased and they need to remove thier stands and not come back or else face charges. The WO or sheriff can be kind and firm at the same time

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Went thru kinda the same thing years ago when the AGFC leased the Casey Jones Permit area, we had permits and went down a few days before and setup camp and some stands that evening about 3 truck loads of fellers came into camp and told us that they had hunted that land for many years and be damn if any outsiders were going to take it over, I tried explaining we werent looking for any trouble but we had the right to hunt the area and we werent leaving, well it got alil heated and we finally convinced them that it wasnt in anyones best interest to escalate the situation especially when guns were involved! The next morning I went to a leanup stand I had drug about 1/4 of a mile thru a clearcut the day before and 1 of em was on my stand! I hunted my stand that morning but he sat about 30 yrds away! That was the only altercation we really ever had besides a few treats but eventually they left us alone!

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I definitely don't want things to come to violence or threats. My father and I were both told by bordering clubs that this section of land was not leased last year. So my guess is there are some individuals that think they can hunt the land if no one else lays claim to it (leases it). The option of turning these guys into a Sheriff or WO doesn't sit to easy with me. I mean, if these individuals are going to ignore a posted sign, what else might they ignore?

However, I know the right thing to do is to leave it to those in uniform to deal with trespassing.

· Registered
11,766 Posts
Post the land with signs and paint. Do you know who they are?

Get to know the Sheriff's Deputies and the Game Wardens. Let them do your dirty work if you can.
Be prepared to obtain an Affidavit for Arrest if need be.
You may have to make an example of one before you establish your place.

It's expensive to pay fines and as long as you give the impression that you won't prosecute they will continue to abuse you.

I have no problem with taking someone to court.

You pay a lot of money and you have to protect it.

The lease companies want you to do the prosecuting and some even say they expect you to.

Try the nice way first and be prepared to handle it legally.

You might seek out a local to join so that they can be seen lots on the lease to discourage trespassers.

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Man, I definitely don't want things to come to violence or threats. My father and I were both told by bordering clubs that this section of land was not leased last year. So my guess is there are some individuals that think they can hunt the land if no one else lays claim to it (leases it). The option of turning these guys into a Sheriff or WO doesn't sit to easy with me. I mean, if these individuals are going to ignore a posted sign, what else might they ignore?

However, I know the right thing to do is to leave it to those in uniform to deal with trespassing.
I aint promoting violence but we had all purchased lease permits and there quarrel was with the AGFC and Georgia Pacific as I saw it not us but we werent being ran out of a area we had a right to be in!

· Registered
21,179 Posts
Put notes on stands asking them to remove stands and cease hunting. Place copy of lease with note. Give them one chance and explain next time, stands will be removed and law enforcement will be called, leave a contact number as well.

Option one doesn't work, remove stands, take pictures of vehicles in area with license plates in case they leave before you, call law enforcement out.

If you don't wish to go that route, next year, don't pay lease and hunt the land with them. You save money and what are they gonna say?

· Registered
2,898 Posts
keep a cool head.....but do what ever means are necessary.

Had a problem with folks trespassing on land we own.......since most of my family has moved from the country or died off......we seem to have an increase of folks hunting our land...which of course is posted.....one day while on a hunt.....came cross a fella and his 2 boys that went around our get and got their truck stuck on our place......so I kindly walked up to them and asked who told them they could hunt here....Guy smiled and said..the landowner.....I smiled back and said.....man, I don't know you....seems someone who lived in the area told him it would be ok to hunt there....Well, to make a long story short,I walked back to our farm house, got our tractor and pulled him out.....gave the guy my cell number and told him if he wanted to hunt there to call me......local sheriff is our neighbor so since that incident I have them watch out for folks looking to go on our land. Now, I'm bout the most calm and rational person that you can ever meet.......and if someone don't seem to undertand.....I belive you gotta make them....remove stands and get license plates if you can....if dey there hunting & on stand when I get there and ain't supposed to be there :clap::fit:......I want to see them change 4 flat tires before I come back with WO/CS......:fit::fit:

· Registered
3 Posts
What do you think about a situation where my property backs up against USFS land, and someone has a tree stand right on the other side of the fence? I've laid down food plots right within range of this guy's stand. It's sitting there in the tree but I haven't seen anyone there.

· Registered
11,766 Posts
What do you think about a situation where my property backs up against USFS land, and someone has a tree stand right on the other side of the fence? I've laid down food plots right within range of this guy's stand. It's sitting there in the tree but I haven't seen anyone there.
How close to your house?

I think though anyone that would do that in consideration of how much NF there is .........is a sorry POS!!:up:

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I would post sign as stated before alerting them to the fact they are hunting on your lease give them an opportunity to remove their stuff (people can make mistakes) give them a contact number and set a date for removal. After said date I would claim the stands and sell them for interfering with my hunting lease. :biggrin:

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice on this topic. My father went down yesterday and placed copies of the lease along with the section map on every deer stand with instruction to remove them ASAP or they would become OUR property. If caught illegally hunting on the property, we would take pictures of vehicles and turn them over to law enforcement. Hopefully this rectifies the situation. My father has even sent emails to bordering club presidents with descriptions of OUR vehicles asking them kindly if they see any different vehicles with accompaning hunters to please call us.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I aint promoting violence but we had all purchased lease permits and there quarrel was with the AGFC and Georgia Pacific as I saw it not us but we werent being ran out of a area we had a right to be in!
I understand Buba, and didn't interpret your post as promoting violence. You just never know how some people will react when confronted about illegally trespassing.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Post the land with signs and paint. Do you know who they are?

Get to know the Sheriff's Deputies and the Game Wardens. Let them do your dirty work if you can.
Be prepared to obtain an Affidavit for Arrest if need be.
You may have to make an example of one before you establish your place.

It's expensive to pay fines and as long as you give the impression that you won't prosecute they will continue to abuse you.

I have no problem with taking someone to court.

You pay a lot of money and you have to protect it.

The lease companies want you to do the prosecuting and some even say they expect you to.

Try the nice way first and be prepared to handle it legally.

You might seek out a local to join so that they can be seen lots on the lease to discourage trespassers.
We have no names, but someone in the meeting in Fordyce stated it might be a former member of a bordering lease. The good news is, the local WO knows about the situation, the section of land in question, and stated he would be in the area quite often this season.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.