Nebraska opener

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jcp, Apr 12, 2018.

1. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Leaving in the morning for the opener in Nebraska and looks like the weather is going to be junk.
    Blizzard warning for tomorrow night thru Saturday morning , then cold and windy. Sunday and Monday look decent though.
    Land owner called me earlier today and asked if I was still coming , when I told him yes he said you turkey hunters are way more dedicated then deer hunters !

2. Sawman

Sawman Well-Known Member

Where you going? I'll be headed that way in a couple weeks.

Onetrakd likes this.

3. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    I’m headed up that way the last week of the April. Which part are you headed to ?

Nocked_up likes this.
  4. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    This property is between North Platte and McCook. I have another place to hunt west towards Hayes Center.

5. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Good luck! Weather threw us for a loop in OK last week too, but at least in that open country you can glass them up even if you cant hear them.

jcp likes this.
  6. Sawman

Sawman Well-Known Member

I'll be between North Platte and Mccook also. I've never been there maybe jcp will leave me a couple.

7. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    If you’ve never been up this way you’ll be surprised a turkey would live in this desolate land. You’ll spend a lot of time with bino’s in hand. These spend most of their time in the wide open but with the terrain you can generally slip up close enough to bust one

Onetrakd and GobGetter like this.
  8. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    I got to the property about noon and the wind was howling , took a peek around and seen about 20 birds and a couple of elk all hunkered down out of the wind About 15:00 it started snowing. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon this weather will blow through.

brushcreek likes this.
  9. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Well when the weather said blizzard conditions they weren’t kidding. The wind has blown all night and the snow drifted up. Last night right before dark I looked out the kitchen window to see 15 birds or so fly up within 50 yards of the house here , not so certain they didn’t land on the chimney to stay warm. I got a pretty good video of one but can’t post it for some reason
    Won’t be the first time to hunt in the snow but will be a blizzard !

Dermott and 157buck like this.
  10. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Well sometimes things just fall into place
    I watched these birds roost 50 yards behind the house , only problem was trying to get around them to set up.
    I struck out in the pitch dark this morning and stumbled my way thru the snow until I found the spot I wanted to sit , bad problem was I only had about a 10’ window. A couple of jakes and a hen flew down in a perfect spot , next thing I know this guy pitches down and mills around but he is behind a bunch of cedars. Finally I see him moving towards my window of opportunity , only problem is they are all huddled together with no shot. The jakes and this tom start fighting around and run out of my window. The hen heads off the opposite direction and when he noticed he came trotting back thru the window but didn’t make it much further.
    1” spurs
    8 1/2” beard
    23 lbs IMG_0571.jpg

HEVI D, RiverValley, gutshot and 12 others like this.
  11. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

Nice congrats ! Pretty cool seeing one killed in the snow during the (spring)

12. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    I killed this one in South Dakota a few years back after a big 18” snow. We didn’t get that much snow this go round but it was drifted up over knee deep in places
    IMG_0576.jpg

Dermott, Allenn, Onetrakd and 3 others like this.
  13. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

Do they gobble when it’s that cold?

14. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Never heard one gobble this morning , heard some hens though.
    The one I killed in South Dakota in the snow gobbled a few times.
    I did get to see some interesting behavior this morning. The winds were 25 with gust to 40 or so , these birds were all faced into the wind and would tuck its head almost under its wing.
    When it was time to fly down they basically fell off the limb and didn’t stretch a wing until they were a few feet off the ground

brushcreek likes this.
  15. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

That’s awesome!

Dermott likes this.
  16. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    Well I put some birds to bed Saturday night and got in amongst em this morning. Clear as a bell with a slight breeze and cold. I set up my dekes in the corner of the field and it wasn’t long before the birds came alive , gobbles coming from the ridge as far as I could hear. Wasn’t long and the first hens pitched into my dekes , and the Toms it the ground gobbling up a storm. I eased around where I figured the birds to come thru and waited , few minutes passed and I can see red heads within shooting distance but to much clutter in the way. All of a sudden the hens feeding around took off running to them , I turned to see a mule deer sniffing my jake decoy.
    Long story short they drifted off , I went and got warm.
    I ventured around and seen probably 3 flicks of about 10 birds a piece.
    I was going to hang around another day but my boss called my personal phone so back to Colorado I went
    It will be a hunt I will never forget.
    I’ll be back in a couple of weeks and hopefully it won’t be snowing.
    Couple of picture of the trip and a trail cam picture the landowner showed me of a coyote carrying a dead turkey last fall
    IMG_0577.jpg IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0578.jpg IMG_0585.jpg IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0580.jpg IMG_0585.jpg

17. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
  18. cmf88

cmf88 Well-Known Member

Congrats man!

19. gutshot

gutshot Well-Known Member