NBC Matt Lauer - the layers keep pealing off

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by stealthycat, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Lt Gibson

Lt Gibson Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton would be elected light years ahead of the president now. Light years. If you don't believe that you are naive.

2. Lt Gibson

Well don't be so specific when speaking of "generalities"

3. Lt Gibson

So someone did get elected...and his quote was about "grab them by their...."
    And he got elected...
    Clinton never even said anything like that and he was elected so what is different??

4. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

in today's world no - I don't think Bill would be elected or even be considered for a nomination

rape/assaults on women are no longer accepted thank God

Greyhound likes this.
  5. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    I don't agree with that. Even democrats are throwing him under the bus lately about his womanizing. Saying he should have resigned. Also, his role in the Uranium one/real Russian collusion/Clinton Foundation, is eventually going to be a major problem for the Clinton's.

Greyhound likes this.
  6. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

I don't know the why to all of the ins and outs of this issue but a woman at work filed a sexual harassment suite against an outside vendor. Our hr and his hr talked it over for more than a month. His company refused to have a different rep service us and ours said that wasn't acceptable. Now he is only allowed to come at certain times when she isn't there... but he's already come back at times when he's not supposed to, and even asked for her by name so that they can go over some paper work together. Clearly his company doesn't take it seriously at all. These are both big international companies. Don't know, just putting it out there.

7. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Sounds
    Sounds like your company is not taking it seriously either. They're not enforcing the agreement between them & the vendor. This may end up being a problem for your company, if she hires an outside lawyer.

8. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes...true victims may feel pressured to silence...but it's false accusers that are largely to blame for the cynicism and doubt they are met with.

Remember the LR dentist that was accused of sexual assault on a young patient? I sure remember seeing his arrest etc all over the news...but his acquittal on all charges didn't get nearly as much attention. Lucky for him there were cameras recording during the procedure, otherwise...his word against a child's and 20 years in prison on the line. Thing is...I had to dig to find out about the cameras! Most articles recount how and why he was charged...all of the salacious accusations...then say he was found not guilty. This wasn't just a decision made by the jury that leaves some question of innocence...there was video proof that his hygienist/assistant never left the room during the procedure and no inappropriate contact took place. Some will ALWAYS see this man as a sexual predator. And that is the real crime here:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A Little Rock dentist charged with second-degree sexual assault involving a female teenage patient has been found not guilty.
    Forty-four-year-old Jose Turcios was acquitted of the charge Friday. Turcios was accused of inappropriately touching a then-15-year-old girl while she was breathing anesthetic gas at Healthy Smiles dentist office in March 2015.
    Prosecutors argued that dental aides were out of the room at the time. Defense attorneys said surveillance footage and testimony showed that the girl was not alone with Turcios while on anesthetic gas.
    Turcios had faced a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

R6mm and whetstone like this.
  9. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

No doubt it is a crazy world we live in ArkGirl. And my first thought after reading your post was that the girl was probably trying to get some money, but I have no proof of that. She may have honestly believed her accusations to be true.

10. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well...she and her mother have filed a civil suit...they are looking for money now. Whether that was the goal at the outset...or the child truly believed something happened due to the effects of the anesthetic gas I can't say. Cameras don't lie though...not like humans do. He has filed a lawsuit as well now.

11. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

Too bad the dentist can't sue her LAWYERS -- they're the ones keeping the pot boiling.

12. hillbillycycles

hillbillycycles Well-Known Member

^^^Vern, you have hit on something that I think absolutely needs to be done. Almost everywhere you go these days you are on camera. If you bring an accusation against someone that turns out to be blatantly false, I think there should be repercussions. The accused should have their time and the accuser should be held liable in some fashion.

Power and money have corrupted since the dawn of time. Men (and some women) have always used their power and money to manipulate and intimidate others. While I don't condone what has happened to many women in politics, entertainment, etc. many were either naïve, stupid, or knew what they were getting themselves into. After all, if you go into a man's hotel room with him alone it is not the best of situations. Should it be that way? No, but situational awareness is something to be considered.

Now, having said that, I don't think any of it is right. I can easily see why women up to this point would have kept quiet about it as easily as I now see why they feel comfortable coming forward. Strength in numbers and courage in a crowd, so to speak.

What bothers me the most is the complex machines so many have built to "take care of" or cover up the situations. Hiding these slime balls actions is almost worse in my mind because that just sets up the perpetrator to feel untouchable and generate nothing but more victims.

I don't know where this will eventually lead, but I think a lot of formerly well liked people are going to have their very ugly side shown to the light of day.

13. Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey Well-Known Member

I have always held the English Rule should be automatic -- loser pays the winner's costs. And if the suit is under a contingency arrangement (the lawyer shares in the winnings) the lawyer should also share in the losses.