Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wanting to start a discussion on the environmental impact of all the natural gas drilling that is going on in North Central Ark. Hope I don't sound like a tree hugger :smack:
All you hear about is how its going to benefit everyone with jobs and help the economy etc. You don't hear anything negative about it, but I drive through White County everday and all you see is torn up roads and traffic. I see alot of torn up land while they drill and It sure hasn't impacted any of my gas prices. But i do have to say that I've seen some land where when they were through , it doesn't look too bad, at least its not a subdivision.
I haven't leased any of my land yet. Pretty much I've heard that if they want to lease it, you don't have much of choice, they'll get it anyway so If the day comes when they contact me, I've been told I'm better off getting a lawyer to negotiate my lease so they have to have it in writing to put it back to close to what they found it.
It just kind of worries me because this looks like another area where hunters could end up getting the raw end of the deal.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I think this is a good subject to ponder but, only time will bring our results. I also think they try to leave the property in as good shape when they move, as when they started, meaning, when they came in ready to drill compared to the contractors they hire to come in and (cleanup) when there finished drilling. Stay as close to these people as you can if you let them drill as they are just in here doing a job they are contracted to do. Sometimes it gets dirty out there and if you aren't there to monitor, well, it may get little messy to put it mildly. All in all, there are some really good folks working these sites but if they are on your land, stay tuned in with them and they will do you right from my experience and, I do think that the after results may alter some form of wildlife in the future..... :twocents:

·
Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye
17,185 Posts
I haven't heard any land owners around here complaining about the gas well bunch tearing up their property because most of them are getting a pretty good chunk of money off their minerals.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I was just wanting to start a discussion on the environmental impact of all the natural gas drilling that is going on in North Central Ark. Hope I don't sound like a tree hugger :smack:
All you hear about is how its going to benefit everyone with jobs and help the economy etc. You don't hear anything negative about it, but I drive through White County everday and all you see is torn up roads and traffic. I see alot of torn up land while they drill and It sure hasn't impacted any of my gas prices. But i do have to say that I've seen some land where when they were through , it doesn't look too bad, at least its not a subdivision.
I haven't leased any of my land yet. Pretty much I've heard that if they want to lease it, you don't have much of choice, they'll get it anyway so If the day comes when they contact me, I've been told I'm better off getting a lawyer to negotiate my lease so they have to have it in writing to put it back to close to what they found it.
It just kind of worries me because this looks like another area where hunters could end up getting the raw end of the deal.
I work in the industry and have for 24 years I will tell you this the more we can get from our own property the less we will depend on the 9-11 ********. Gas prices are depended by the ******** AND THE SOUTH THE OTHER CONTINENT ******** THAT FLOOD OUR COUNTRY WITH DOPE.( Just LOOK south) There is more than one can see. The prices is not because of the war I remember in the 70's the same thing happened. If I am out of line I am sure someone will tell me.:frown:

·
Registered
298 Posts
My biggest concern would be the water usage involved per well. Plus, that water ends up with all the impurities. What regs are in place to get that water cleaned up so that it does not negatively impact the surrounding environment?

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
My biggest concern would be the water usage involved per well. Plus, that water ends up with all the impurities. What regs are in place to get that water cleaned up so that it does not negatively impact the surrounding environment?
Believe it or not but they are not governed by the same standards we are. If we water test a pipeline then we have to dispose of the water a certian way. They unless things have changed they can do basic anything that they want.
Second the only thing about the drilling mud is if oil from the machinery gets in it.
If you are a farmer it is some of the best fertilzer than you can get.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What about the talk that one or more companies are wanting to put a pipeline in to draw water from the Little Red River? How would the balance be kept there between the drilling companies' water needs and the minimum flows set forth by the AGFC? Just wondering ...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What about the talk that one or more companies are wanting to put a pipeline in to draw water from the Little Red River? How would the balance be kept there between the drilling companies' water needs and the minimum flows set forth by the AGFC? Just wondering ...
There are specefic guidlelines these companies are required to follow. I believe it is the Army Corps of Engineers that set forth these guidelines, and not the AGFC,

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If I remember correctly the pipe to draw water was to be set above the normal water line. Wasn't supposed to affect normal flow at all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As far as the minimum flows go, I am referring to the ones the AGFC has worked with other agencies on to assure that the trout will have ample cool water during the hotter months. But, I just know that some of the folks around Heber Springs are not in a positive mood about the pipe idea.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think before I lease mine, if the time ever comes, I'm going to have a lawyer look over the lease. I did read about one guy in the Searcy paper who leased his land minerals for around 10k, and it ruined his well and it cost him something like 17k to have city water piped in at his own expense. His water turned to mud and since he never had his well tested before the drilling, he had no actual proof that the drilling caused it, even though he had used the well for years and never had any problems until 2 weeks after they had drilled.
I have well water, I'd want to make sure they don't use any of my groundwater and I'd have my well tested before and after. So far, they've only contacted me to do geological testing with the above ground cables. I have alot of thickets so it would be ok with me for them to open up some shooting lanes to run their cables for 2 weeks.:biggrin:
I just about hope they do the testing and that they don't find anything on me.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
If the Corp determines that water levels is not sufficient for the needs say fill a pipeline then the pipeline will have to truck water in from someplace else.

·
3,605 Posts
I hunted the Homochitto National forest in Mississippi this past weekend. It is covered in gas and oil wells. The wells don't look bad but the constant noise is annoying when you are trying to hunt turkeys.

Didn't ACDC do a song about noise pullution back in the day?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.