Name and Address on Climbing stand on public land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by twiceborn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. twiceborn

twiceborn Well-Known Member

I've hunted a long time on public land with my climbing stand, I have my name, address and phone number written all over my stand with a permanent marker. Was reading in the AGFC reg book that this information must be permanently attached. I assume my method is ok, it is permanent marker and it is attached but was wondering if any of you have ever had issue with this? I was wondering if they split hairs on this regulation?

2. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

If you leave the stand it must have the information on it. If you take it in and out each time not required.

3. lee

lee Well-Known Member

i attached a dog tag on mine!! was worried about the permanant marker not what they want

4. I use permanent marker.

5. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

As long as it's "clearly visible" I doubt they care how it's on there. I use a label maker. My brother had a run in with a warden this year about this. He cut my bro some slack on that. He didn't have it labeled at all. I think it's a pretty steep ticket. And points on your license are doubled on NWRs. I can't believe he found his stand. It's no where near a road. We motor down river and this particular stand is about a half mile walk in from the boat. That warden must hunt that area too is all I can figure. But did give him a boat registration ticket. At least it was not hunting related so no points on license. Pretty nice of him if you ask me.

6. 1/4ing away

1/4ing away Well-Known Member

I have been checked for this and it was in permanent marker and it was fine. However, I was checked for this info at my truck. It seemed to me that he was going to say I had to have it on my stand regardless of if I was leaving it in the woods or not. His exact words were "you have your name on your stand"? I said "Yes sir, but the address has changed." He said "that's ok...just as long as your name is on it."
    This was at the truck, after I hunted.

7. Twenty2feet

Twenty2feet Well-Known Member

There is a gw down in felsonthal that has a lab just for tracking hunters. He can point him on your boat, get the scent and the dog will follow you to wherever you end up. Had a buddy this happened to will he was down there bow hunting. The gw told his son to go back to the tree he hunted and pick up his cracker wrapper.

8. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

I use permanent markers on mine.

9. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

I used a paint pen on mine. Had to do it in the HSV urban hunt and it's been on ever since.

10. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

harbor freight has a little battery powered engraver. I've used mine on all sorts of surfaces and its nice and does good work.

11. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

Yes the regs state if you leave your stand it has to be on there, but in all reality if you are hunting on public land you better have that information on your stand. I find that out at Choctaw before a hunt, I questioned it with the wardens stating that only applies if I am going to leave it. They stated so you are not going to leave your stand period, pretty much they asked if I was planning on taking it and carrying it with me while tracking a deer. Pretty much they stated that at anytime you leave your stand and it is out sight for any reason than it is considered you are leaving.
    They gave me a perment marker to write that information on my stand, so yes the marker method is fine.

12. cropdustersteve

cropdustersteve Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

I've been stopped at Pond Creek, and he told me that my info had to be on anything I'm taking in and out that stays in the woods including game cams. It also cuts back on thievery since it's pretty strictly enforced. I don't know anybody out there that has had anything stolen.

13. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Hmm didn't know the part about the game cams. :doh: I have 3 out right now.

But then again, the name on your stand rule is done by the AGFC and is applicable to WMAs. The WR refuge has no rule like that that I can find. Yeah, I put my name and address on my stand anyway....just in case. ha :thumb: Plus I do hunt some WMAs too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

As info... if you read the WR regs. Those are in addition to state game and fish regs. They enforce both.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  15. loganh

loganh Well-Known Member

seark
    i was told differently one day... i had a chair and a stake and cloth ground blind that i took in and out everyday. The GW checked me on the way out one day and ask me if my name and info was on the seat and ground blind i said no i never leave it out there over night... he said it didnt matter if i take it in both iteams need to be clearly marked with my info... he didnt give me a ticket or say anything else about it while he was checking me just a friendly heads up i guess for next time.

16. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

Yeah true, I have seen that its in addition to the AGFC rules. DIdn't think of that. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  17. cropdustersteve

cropdustersteve Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Yeah. I use a climber that I take in and out, and he made me write my info on it. Was told that I didn't want to get caught with something with someone else's name on it.

18. bottmhtr

bottmhtr Well-Known Member

good to know because none of my climbers or locons have my name on them. guess i better get a pen.

19. jrfoyil

jrfoyil Well-Known Member

I actually got a written warning for this on a WMA this year. Warden Told me it was like a $225 ticket. I never put my info on any of my stands in the past. They go in with me and come out with me. He actually pulled out the reg book at his truck and showed me in the book where it says your name and address has to be permanently attached. No longer says if unattended as I thought! He was nice about it and said permanent marker was fine

20. arhunter33

arhunter33 Well-Known Member

jr you must have been at trusten holder had the same thing happen to me last year ,told me it had to be on even if you took it in and out with you