Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to sight in my MZ in a little while. Is it alright to sight it in at 25 yards? Will it shoot the same at 100 as 25 or do I need to be shooting a little high at 25 to have it dead on at 100..I will not be taking any shots further than 100 during hunting.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
Thats going to depend on charge, load and the gun.. Personally I site mine in at 50 yrds, 3 inches high and it holds that out to 100 yds easily.. Be sure to clean the barrel after 2-3 shots to keep it consistent..

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
No! I sighted mine in at 25 yrds last year, and then backed it up to 100 yards. I was low and to the right more than a foot. I was shooting 95 grs of Pyrodex, and Pwerbelt bullets with #11 caps. Once I got it on at 100, I was fine at 50 and 75 yards, only a couple inches high there.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Modern guns and ML's do not shoot the same. Being in the bullseye at 25 can equate to being several inches off at 100. With slower velocity firearms, ..... gravity , drag on the bullet, and flinching show up in a much more pronounced way. As distance increases, angles increase exponentially. A gun off by 1 inch at 25 , can be 2 inches at 50 ... 4 inches at 75 and 8 inches at 100. And that's in a shooting vise. Human flinching can and does make it worse. And that can go for left to right , also...... SOOOOOO

use the 25 to get on paper, but shoot it at 100 before, you hunt, to check it's sighting in.

With a modern gun ( centerfire rifle ) it is not as bad.... the higher velocities lend the gun to be more accurate from 25 to 200 yards . But at 300 + yards , the same rules apply.

Good luck and God bless

MET

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.