My study of the best sgh

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Alpha, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Alpha

Alpha Member On Double Secret Probation

Killed a possum today and plan on doing research. So far I've only shot the G5 sgh and they didn't have much penetration but broke every thing that they touch. Tomorrow imma gonna shoot an old rage. Possibly some innerlocs and some old wasp. Will post pics.

Thought some of y'all might find this interesting

2. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member

Good luck, let us know what works best. I have used some of my old slick tricks, and them little cheap expandable broadheads at wal mart.

3. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Just out of curosity....how much penetration did you expect? :head:

4. Alpha

Atleast 6 inches

5. Alpha

I was using 9.4 gpi arrows so maybe off a little bit. The rage practice blade went through the possum and the 8 inch piece of styrofoam this broadhead bled on contact. The wasp did the same except didn't bled on contact it only bleed on the exit. The spit fire gave one heck of a hole prolly the size of a nickel. In passed through the possum but didn't go through the styrofoam it also took a while to bled but once it started it leaked. The G5 sgh left a nickel sized hole and shrunk up to bout 4 inches and it demolished and thing in touched. It bled on contact. But took awhile to get it out.Pics when I get back from LR. And by the way this was a fresh killed possum From this morning. Shot him in the cheek with a G5 sgh and died almost instantly. Didn't penetrate but 1 1/2 inches but when I pulled the arrow out I could hear the skull shifting.

6. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
  7. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Small Game Head... I think

8. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Ohhh... that makes sense. I think I've seen the G5 head they're talking about then. I think it's more of a bludgeon point and a penetration type.

9. possum

That's pretty much what they're designed to do....if you're talking about the same thing that I'm thinking of.

10. wrecker19

wrecker19 Well-Known Member

The G5 sgh is hard to beat..I've killed countless dillo's and have only broken one blade off of them. I accidentally shot a deer this year with one because I pulled the wrong arrow out of the quiver. It was a head on shot from the ground and he ran about 40 yds. There was an entrance and exit hole but the shaft broke off about 8 inches from the head and I assume when he went down it pushed the broken shaft back inside. I found it while I was dressing him and am still shooting it. Probably wouldn't of worked so well on a broadside shot

11. Maximaman

Maximaman Well-Known Member

Hey alfamaxhunter I'll take those sgh off your hands if you don't like them just sayin.

12. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

I have noticed depending on the head size of a SGH and the size of the animal makes a big difference in how effective it is.

Very light animals like birds and squirrels get horrible penetration because they are so light. They just go flying lol.

Now if you actually use a pointed tip thats not blunt then its cutting diameter needs to exceed fletching diameter or the fletchings get caught on the light body mass and just push it the direction of the momentum. I found this out shooting squirrels with field tips. Everytime the fletchings would catch at the entrance hole and keep the arrow from a pass through. Lost 1 arrow that way.

13. These are my SGH's I made to use on my Xbow bolts just follow this link, cost me about 30minutes time and were cheap and easy to make. they fly straight like a champ. The wife smoked a big ol rabbit with one early in the season at 22 yds, pass thru, no damage to the tip, the arrow stopped about 2 feet from the impact point. I shot a squirrel sitting on my feeder with it, again 22 yds, pass thru shot, no damage to tip. I like the idea of using the practice rage tip, and old bh's for little critters. I looked at the G5 sgh's and out of ALL the sgh's this one looked the most promising...and...brutal...

http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=80050

14. possum

This is the G5 SGH

[​IMG]

15. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

My boy and I have been wanting to try some of them. May just have to now.

16. Alpha

17. Alpha

shot 1 G5sgh
    http://[​IMG]
    Shot 2 Rage practice blade this may be the regular rage.shot both forgot bout the pis

18. possum

I can tell ya that the G5 ain't going to penetrate the way them others will. The G5 is designed for (lets use the term) knockdown power, it's terminal ballistics is based on minimal penetration and shock value to knock it's target down where's at. The others are designed to penetrate and cut causing it's target to hemorrhage and bleed out. There's no real comparison that can be made.

19. Alpha

shot 3 spitfire
    Shot 4, wasp barley see the wound below the arrow

20. Alpha

ive shot squirrels with spit fire and have watched them hobble off. And on the possum the blades hardly opened.