My Ram Hunt was short but long!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by Tink, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

It started yesterday evening trying to fine them an almost got late on us. At 5:10 yesterday we spot them on a ridge line 1200yd. This moring we walked in were we last saw them it was 2 rams 3 nannys an 1 ram an a nanny off by them self. At 9:45 they get up an move the big group when one way an the two cam are way. Then they took a differnt route then we thought they were going to take. So we made a quick move up the ridge an got up ahead of them about 11:30 an at 12:45 at 52yd my first Ram. This hunt was not high fence an I was the second contact this animal ever had. Fun hunt short but long lived.
    [​IMG]

2. Tink

3. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

awesome man! thats a long shot! Good job :up:

4. Deerguru

Deerguru Well-Known Member

Man sounds like fun. What will you do with the days you have left?

DG

5. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

:up::up::up::clap:

Were you over in Oklahoma? A friend goes to a place over there every year in Jan. or Feb. for a Ram......

6. Tink

This was done up here in NWA on a private place an that's all I can say about it. I am only the third person allow to hunt one. So I have to go back to work tomarow an save the rest of vaction for deer season.

7. Deerguru

Deerguru Well-Known Member

AR has rams ? There not native are they?

8. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool, no matter where you are.

9. Tink

No there not native to Arkansas. The heard started out with three now it's up to a dozen an he want let it get no bigger. He owns alot of land an half the time you never see them. This was luck an all luck for me. Last year it took them a month almost to locate them befor they could get a shot.

10. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

you stated that the ram was not behind high fence. Are you saying these sheep are free ranging in Arkansas?

11. Tink

Free range on his land yes not the state of Arkansas no. He has over 5000ac an has had this heard for 6yr. Yes they have been known to cross the fence an yes his nieghbors now of them. They all only get handle once an that's when they go out an tag there ear when they are young. An it's not a ranch hunt for public or a outfitter. This is his on personel thing he does for family members an I was the only one that ever got to do this outside the family. I guided his nephew this year on a hunt an got a good one. In return he let me hunt one of his rams.

12. Tink

Yea I am proud of it for sure thanks. The othere two were bigger whith full curls. Soon as they cross are wind they were gone fast. It would of took us all day just get back on them or we could of ran in the otheres, but I only had three days befor I had to be back to work. His main was full an wasn't even missing none of it like the otheres so I op for this one.

13. Tink

14. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Nice...Now you have to find you some old Greek guy to show you how to cook that thing. Wish I had a Gyros right now.

15. Tink

That's one thing I never had was ram so it be the first for me. We have it hanging in the cooler right now for a little while.

16. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Thats cool tink! Congrats. How does he keep them on his property?

17. Tink

Those sheep a herd animals an he also has regular sheep on his ranch. He put three out about six years ago to see what would happen that was his biggest fear that they would run off. For whole year never say them then one day 7 showed up. From there it's been just manage the herd he want let them get over 12 or try to. It's hard to hunt I just got lucky on this one of course it took us all day Wed to fine them. It was fun an still
    sore from climbing those ridges an glassing.

18. wrecker19

wrecker19 Well-Known Member

That's pretty wild!! Can you give a name for that species?
    I've heard rumors of your source but never knew the truth...I'll keep it a secret though :cool:
    Good shooting by the way