Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If your open to suggestions.. I'd go with Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) flip-up front and rears for BUIS'. And then go to some glass, if you plan to really hunt with it at any range. The Leopold MKIV is real sweet... but out of my price range. The ACOG is great to, but again outta my budget!

I've got a Bushnell Holosight. I was looking at the EOTech, but it is not much more than a more rugged Holosight and I had it already!!!!

Either way.... I'd make sure to get a good set of flip up irons. JMO.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Well, I'd suggest listening to .270 and Snyde!

I suppose if you're gonna hunt with it, a scope & mount is all you need. Mine has fixed front sight and a ARMS #40 flip up back up sight on the rear, and that's it so far. I want an eotech, but I may end up with a Leupold Rifleman 2 X 7 from wal mart.

A friend of mine has the eotech and nothing else. I sorta like to have a "plan B" in place and ready to go. I know the eotechs are very reliable, I just feel better with the back up iron sights.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I sorta like to have a "plan B" in place and ready to go. I know the eotechs are very reliable, I just feel better with the back up iron sights.
The EOTech is the only "sight" I have on mine too, but I've also thought about the same thing you mentioned.... getting a rear flip up sight just as a back up. :wink:

For close up work though, I've got a lot of confidence in my Streamlight TLR-2 Laser. :up:

.270Win

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Mine is a working gun and I have no choice but to have a BUIS system in place.

I love the EOTech/Holosights. But for a true hunting gun, I'd prefer to have some "real" glass on it.
It makes the random "FTX" throughout the year...i.e. busting yotes and fox.

I keep promising myself a seperate "hunting" EBR, but 'til I can lay by a few more $$$ I gotta run with what I brung!!

·
Administrator
90,749 Posts
Me likey new EBR's!! :thumb:

Congrats on the rifle. As for sights, I have an Amipoint on one rifle and a EOTech on the other. Personally, my eye picks up the EOTech faster than the Aimpoint. If at all possible, try as many as possible before you make a purchase. You might like something different than the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I have to say, I I had the rear BUIS (back up iron sights) to do over again, I'd think hard about that above mentioned Yankee Hill unit. It's fairly inexpensive and everybody likes them:

http://www.yhm.net/store/sights.html

If you have a few more sheckles to throw at this, the Matech is a real mil-spec BUIS that's got range graduations out to 600 meters:

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi.../PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=33731

I've seen these on M4's in pictures of our troops "over there," so they must be good to go. If you're primarily hunting, real glass might be more better.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my ARMS 40, it's just that they mill a flat in the top of the small diameter peep to make it clear when folded, and it changes the sight picture a bit, to my old eyes at least. When I get my eotech (OR scope, whichever comes first) I'll forget all about it!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Congrats. That is one good looking gun. I have the eotech 512 on mine with flip up rear for back up. I would not trade the 512 for anything. Although, I have to say, I do like the look,feel, and handeling of the standard detachable handle for a purely SHTF rifle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.