Arkansas Hunting banner
381 - 397 of 397 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Can you post a pic of your favorite knife and one of the most “ornate”? Might be one and the same.
. Naw, not the same. Probably the most ornamented I don't think I took a photo of it. It had one pound of gold. No engraving but was all carved. REALLY complicated. I will try to look around here after the end of October and see if I can find some photos. After getting married to someone that's a good woman, she pushes me to photograph most of them. She was cleaning out my attic at the house and found some boxes of awards, some had ruint in the hot attic as well as a lot of photos had ruint and stuck together.

I have my personal invitational show this weekend and the art knife invitational show at the end of October. These are what the magazine describe as the two most exclusive knife shows in the world. That's why I have been posting photos lately. Not often I have more than one at a time. Just wanted to show yall what's out there in the world of knives. There are some good makers out there in our state that could make a good knife for yall.

· "Big Buck"
24,992 Posts
I think it's cool. There are tons of specialty wood to use. Mr. Fisk gets the kind of wood nobody else could even dream of. C'mon mayne. Preserved lumber from the Liberty Bell structure! That is badass in my book.
I’m surprised he doesn’t have any wooden handle knifes made from Noah’s Ark

· Registered
117 Posts
How many $$ is this one going for ??
Probably around 21k. Still thinking on it. And, cut....during the testing ....when I took it out of the sheath, the shadow of it cut the leg of the table off before I could turn the lights off. ....legend.
No, really it cut about 5 of pine 2x4's really easy. Balanced well. It should cut about 35 or so 2x4's and still be able to cut a curl off of a single hair. That's the truth on that part. That's my minimum standard for the pieces I make.

· Registered
31,991 Posts
Probably around 21k. Still thinking on it. And, cut....during the testing ....when I took it out of the sheath, the shadow of it cut the leg of the table off before I could turn the lights off. ....legend.
No, really it cut about 5 of pine 2x4's really easy. Balanced well. It should cut about 35 or so 2x4's and still be able to cut a curl off of a single hair. That's the truth on that part. That's my minimum standard for the pieces I make.
Absolutely amazing to me that something that pretty is still that functional. Just speaks to the skill you possess. Beauty of a knife as usual Jerry!

· Registered
117 Posts
Is there any real advantage other than being pretty?
Is there any stainless steel that can compete with a carbon steel knife?
. That depends. Both carbon steel and stainless has areas where both are best in a given situation. For the applications I use a knife carbon steel works better.
Now. IF the Smith knows what he is doing there should be no difference in field performance between damascus steel and a good carbon steel. None.

On stainless. Some will hold a reasonable edge (ATS34 for example) and be reasonable to sharpen. Some crucible stainless will hold a better edge but hard to sharpen proper.

If you want to talk about sharpness that's a different ball game as to..what is sharp.

381 - 397 of 397 Posts