Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunted on our place in Sharp Co. today. I set up on one of our food plots around 3 PM in my blind under a gnarly pear tree. I had one hen decoy out, a feather flex, about 20 yds. away. I had just gotten settled in my blind and pulled my face netting down. I looked down at my phone and heard a loud whop! I looked up and saw what I first thought was a gobbler flailing away at my hen. I grabbed my gun but realized it wasn't a gobbler! Then I thought it was a big hawk. Then it turned around and looked at me and I thought, "Eagle"! Sure enough after doing some checking it was a Golden Eagle! It left several talon holes in my decoy! I've had a bunch of amazing things happen to me while hunting and that's one of the most amazing!

·
Select Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2015
3,170 Posts
Seen them all along the Miss. R.system. I see plenty of Eagles every year out here.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
once had a bald eagle dive at a wounded mallard i shot in a rice field.....I had ot scare the thing off...Good thing too...It was Banded! :thumb: but thats the only encounter i have had with eagles! :p

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Is this the critter you saw?

[/IMG]

It is very likely it could have been, have saw several of them this year along with Bald Eagles following the duck migration.

Here is a map that shows their traditional migrations areas:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks like what I saw, 4hunting. The white band on the tail feathers stood out the most! Other than it being brownish, standing about 3 ft. tall and being nearly as big around as a telephone pole! It had a wingspan of about 6 ft. When it turned around to look at me, it had those "shoulders" and that big crooked beak. When I looked on wikipedia for golden eagles, it looked just like the picture they portrayed. I noticed on the HE Alexander website that eagles winter there. It doesn't say what kind though.

·
Registered
22,248 Posts
I was harrassed by crows all morning on Saturday, watching your decoy grapled by an eagle would have been GREAT to catch on video ! YOUTUBE #1 hit that would have been

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I guess I gotta stop production on those "decoy hen hats" I've been working on. I couldn't pay the legal fees on hawk attack lawsuits.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts