Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
I put my 7 mo. old puppy in the bay pen this weekend and it didn't show any intrest in the hog. What should I do? Switch to a different breed? If so What breed?
key word-> 7 months old. some of the best dogs i have ever owned didn't start til they were a year old. in my opinion, you won't find a better dog than a black mouth cur, but if you are wanting a different breed, i would suggest a catahoula.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I put him in there with a 50 lb. pig and a border collie and he just stays underneath my feet.:mad:

The BEST Dog I ever owned, I got for FREE. My cousin bought her as a Pup & gave up on her when she was 18 mos. Old. I took her & just hunted her. My cousin Eat a Lot of Crow over her.

I NEVER start a dog before they're a Year Old. A lot of things can happen that can Traumatize (sp) to a pup & ruin them for life. Don't give up on him yet....

· Registered
60 Posts
The BEST Dog I ever owned, I got for FREE. My cousin bought her as a Pup & gave up on her when she was 18 mos. Old. I took her & just hunted her. My cousin Eat a Lot of Crow over her.

I NEVER start a dog before they're a Year Old. A lot of things can happen that can Traumatize (sp) to a pup & ruin them for life. Don't give up on him yet....
good advice , we start pups outside of the fence so they cant get hit , or a tame pig that cant hurt them.

· Registered
255 Posts
Keep putting him in there. Some pups just take longer than others..........

Is he in there with other dogs ? If not, try putting him in there with a Dog that's already baying.........
I've got 2 pups. When they were 6 months old they didn't even want to look at a hog. This morning at 10 months old..They found their own hog by theirself. They were the only dogs i took. Put them in some fresh sign and 5 minutes later they were bayed solid on a 100lb boar. Don't give up..Sometimes they will just snap.:up:

· Registered
3,451 Posts
I'd say give him a little more time. While I don't keep or train hog dogs, I am training a dog (wire haired dachshund) for purposes of blood trailing deer. At 7 months old, I almost took him back to the breeder because he showed no game interest at all. But suddenly at about 9 months old, something awakened in him and now I absolutely can't let him outside off leash as if he sees or detects any kind of critter, he's gone. He even tries to attack deer he sees on TV. His hunting drive is now very intense. I'm told this is fairly common behaviour for WHDs. I suspect it could be the same for BMCs.

· Registered
43 Posts
Put a couple of seasoned dogs in the bay pen and let them bay, while the pup is tied up outside. Sometimes this will get their attention; try it several times without putting the pup in the pen. She/he should start showing some interest outside the pen, barking, whinning, etc... If she starts getting excited watching the other dogs, then put her back in the pen with them and see what happens.

One of my best dogs, which is a BMC shows absolutely no interest in a hog the first couple of trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.