Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen on the hunting regulation book that it is legal to hunt squirrel and rabbit with a muzzle loader .40 cal or smaller. does that mean that i could use a .40 cal bullet in a sabot in my .45 cal Hawkins and be legal? has anyone ever hunted small game with one?

thanks
luke

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I use a .32 Hawken once in awhile

I don't think I would chance using a larger bore with a sabot. I think that would get you in trouble. Besides having another rifle is a good thing.

I shoot a patched round ball backed with FFFg. I top off a .38 special case as a powder measure. With this load it is compatable with a .22 LR and has knocked out it's share of rabbits and squierrel out to about 30 yards. Beyound that I doubt I could get a good bead on them anyway.

I once missed a big fox squierrel that was sitting on top of a stump at about 15 yards. He calmly watched me reload and didn't take off until I put a cap on. He knew when it was safe to tease me and when it was time to go.

The .32 will foul up faster than a .36 but if you run a couple of patches through after each shot you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
The .32 will foul up faster than a .36 but if you run a couple of patches through after each shot you shouldn't have a problem.
A trick I saw at a Black Powder shoot last year-- If you put a cleaning jag on the end of your ramrod (I use an aluminum rod) you can put a pre-lubed patch on it everytime you ram a ball down. That way you get a relatively clean bore everytime, with no wasted motion. At least the fouling stays soft that way. Of course every few shots you'll have to swab 'er plumb out, but I find I can shoot longer between major cleanups this way. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.