Arkansas Hunting banner

Muzzleloader Question

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Hobbshunter 
#1 ·
Anyone on here shoot a Knight muzzleloader? I was looking at one a co-worker was selling I believe it's an American Hunter. It's an older one it still uses the #11 percussion cap. I was just wondering about them. I can get a good deal on it I think!!

#3 ·
knights are all real good rifles. excellent customer service made right in the good old USA i had a LK-93 very accurate. knight sells up grades to 209 primers for most all there older models. about $60.00 -+ let us know how much he wants for it. for some reason the older knights do not have much of a resale value. in a pawn shop in tenn. they had three of them all with scopes $125.00 -150.00 there a real bargain. new ones are in the $400.00 up :thumb:

#4 ·
I have that exact Knight but I converted it to 209 primers 3 years ago. I would highly recommend upgrading to the 209 primers. I have had it for 7 years, its a good shooter. It is NOT a magnum muzzleloader, it is designed for 100gr. of powder, not 150. That being said, it will shoot accurately. Just don't expect a "250 yard + capability" like the pro's say with the newer muzzloaders. But I'm good for 150 yards anyhow with it.

Its worth buying if you can get a good deal.

#13 ·
Before you buy this gun, take the breach plug out and look down the barrel. If there is alot of pits in there do not buy it. If it has been taken care of you will not see anything in the barrel. If it has not been cleaned correctly it will have alot of pitting inside it and the gun will not group well.

#14 ·
KBJ, be very careful when buying a used ML.. Always check the barrel as stated above!! And don't take this the wrong way (it was directed to me), but my Dad always said poor people have poor ways.. His example was this; a poor man will pay $50 for a used bike and spend $250 fixing it up to ride, where as a smart man with money will buy a new bike for $200 and get a year warrenty with it.. JMHO

#16 ·
I started out with the Knight lk-93 , worked well for a while then a couple of years ago I bought the CVA Optima in camo / nickel and it is super. Much nicer than the Knight. It shoots circles around that Wolverine.

The break action is much more user friendly and easier to clean IMO, and I got it new for 180.00. Hard to justify putting 160.00 into a used gun. I could have gotten the black / blued CVA Optima for 165.00.

I will stick with the break action from now on, and that CVA has made a heck of an impression on me.... I don't plan to switch any time soon. Why spend 300-400 $$$ on one when I can do just as well for 180.00.

And I am shooting 93 gr. of 777 loose powder, Remington KleenBore primers, and Powerbelt 174gr. Aerotip bullets.... Great groups and results on game.

My 2 cents....

MET

#18 ·
I have a .50 cal. Knight Disc Rifle and have owned it for many years. It is extremely accurate and I have killed many deer with it. Knight is a good company and stands behind it's products. I personally would not buy a used ML and would spend a little extra and buy a new one. You never know how the ML was treated by the previous owner.

#19 ·
I've got an American Knight. I guess I bought it around 1999 or 2000. I bought it at the end of the season for $200 with all of the accessories and some extra powder and bullets that we probably worth at least another $50. I seem to remember them selling new for around $170-$200. They were the cheapest Knight you could get.

I converted mine to 209 primers. They're much easier to handle when hunting. You still have to use the disks to hold the primer, but at least you can take those on and off with your fingers. I forgot my capping tool on a hunt before I converted it. You cannot get those caps on with your fingers! (But I did find a pair of pliers in the truck that did the trick)

Ditto the 100 grain max powder charge. I shoot 100 grains (2 pyrodex pellets) with the old Knight non-jacketed sabot bullets (I think 260gr?). It's great out around 100 yds. I get about 2" groups. I might try a 125 yd shot, but I dont think I'd push it past that. If you think you'll ever do any real long range hunting, buy a new one that will accept a 150gr powder charge, but I have not found it to be a handicap for my hunting at all.

Knight's are pretty simple to take down and clean, but like what's been said, some of the break actions dont need to be taken down at all and can be bought for not much more $.

If I was you... I think I would double check the barrel and make sure it's in good shape, but muzzleloaders have come a long way in the last 10 yrs. I dont think I'd pay more than $75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.